Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2020, 06:43 PM   #1

Hello from Philly - Is this a place we could live in a Skoolie?

Hi, my name is Ed and I'm living in Philly with my wife April. Both used to have a Tiny House back in the UK and have stumbled across the idea of Skoolie conversions and it's right up our street. Been watching loads of conversion videos on youtube and have been really impressed with some peoples creativity and workmanship.

We're very interested living differently with a bit more freedom but currently we need to be in Philadelphia. April is doing a Phd at Temple Uni so needs to be within commutable distance. We're going to be here for another 2 years then would like to explore more hopefully in a skoolie

I would be interested to know if anyone had any experience of operating in a skoolie conversion in Philly or similar urban environments? I'm guessing finding a spot to park would be pretty difficult unless you know someone with a space?

Anyway that's all for now, nice to join this very interesting group.

Ed

English-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Howdy, neighbor. I also live in Philly (actually Delco), as you can see in my details on the left (if you go to User CP in the upper left corner, you can edit your own details and then users will always know where you're at and what kind of bus you have, when you get one).

Philly might not be a good place to try and live in a skoolie. I'm nowhere near done with my bus, but in my initial searches there isn't really anywhere that you can do it legally. There are a small number of RV parks in the area (by "the area" I mean within an hour of center city) but they all have rules about RVs needing to be newer than 10 years old, which excludes any skoolie pretty much, or else they're only open seasonally (i.e. not winter).

It might be possible to find longer-term arrangements around here that are handled under the table, but those are likely to out in the country-ish and not very close to Temple.

There was recently an RV park located near the airport in an old truck warehousing facility, with full RV hookups, and while that's not the most pleasant of living environments, I was at least considering it. But they appear to have permanently closed down now.

Another thing I'm considering is buying two cheap plots of land somewhere or other, if I can find anything like that. In PA you can apparently camp legally on your own land for up to 180 days out of the year, so you could alternate between the two spots (or you could find someone else doing this and switch spots every six months). When I searched last year I found random small properties for sale here and there for a few thousands dollars, pretty much undevelopable but you could at least bulldoze a driveway. I also researched whether it would be possible to get electricity and water hookups on such plots, but it's unclear (to me at least).

In short, this is probably not the best area for living in a skoolie.