Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #1

Year: 1984
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel
Hello from Portland, OR

Hi everyone!

I just joined wanted to introduce myself. My partner and I have lived in a converted 23-ft 1999 Ford E-450 for the last five years. We've just decided that we want to upgrade to a larger bus and I figured it would be a good idea to familiarize myself with the resources on this site.

My main questions at this point, which I'm sure I can find answers to if I do enough digging on here, are:

–Which years and engines are most reliable, and which ones should be avoided?
–Is there anything specific I should be aware of registering and insuring a bus in Oregon? (My current bus is registered in CA, and there are some strict laws about driving older diesel vehicles)
–How hard is it to find mechanics that will work on large buses? For the most part we were able to get our short bus into regular mechanics, but I'm concerned about that being feasible with a large bus.

Thanks, and I look forward to participating more on this site!

SequoiaSempervirens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
I live in Klamath county Oregon and was able to register and insure my Crown here. Your emissions rules are different than mine. Consider the age of your prospective bus in dealing with emissions. Oregon rules are simple for being an RV. It must have sleeping facilities and cooking facilities installed. Do not show up to DMV with a cot and a hot plate and expect to get RV registration. When I went to DMV, the bed was constructed out of wood, with a real mattress and secured to the floor. My cooking facilities was a three burner propane cook top mounted to a counter top and all secured to the floor with the propane tank inside the vanity that all was mounted to. Everything was plumbed and ready to cook. DMV will inspect these items AND will measure the length of your bus to determine how much you will pay for registration. As far as working on your bus, An over the road truck mechanic would likely be happy to work on a large bus. They have larger shop facilities. I needed to replace the engine in mine after it spun a main bearing and the shop that did the work also worked on trucks like Peterbuilts, Kenworths, etc. The same shop also changed the gearing on the Crown. Crowns are certainly not the only good bus to convert, but one reason I like them is they were built with heavy duty truck components. My replacement engine came from an OTR truck, and the differentials are common to OTR trucks. Purely mechanical diesels are preferable to me as they don't rely on computers to function. Most of Oregon does not salt the roads so rust out doesn't occur too much here. I understand they do salt roads in Portland area so consider that. I would first assure that a large bus can be kept where you live, since Portland is a big city place.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #3

Thanks for all the info! We ended up finding a 1984 Crown up north of Seattle and successfully drove it home and have it parked in the backyard where we live!
Old 11-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SequoiaSempervirens View Post
Thanks for all the info! We ended up finding a 1984 Crown up north of Seattle and successfully drove it home and have it parked in the backyard where we live!
Please post some pictures of your new Crown. Is yours a two or three axle version? Tell us all about it.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:24 AM   #5

Okay, finally getting around to uploading pictures here! (I ended up creating an account with Imgur, didn't realize photos had to be hosted elsewhere).

Old 12-02-2020, 01:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattracker View Post
Please post some pictures of your new Crown. Is yours a two or three axle version? Tell us all about it.

Mine is a two-axle, with the Detroit engine.

Which insurance company were you able to get? I got very close to getting insured through National General, but when they found out I have a wood stove, they said they couldn't insure me because that was a "fire hazard".

And then I was curious if it's recommended to run the engine for half an hour or so every few weeks just to get the parts moving (which is what I did when I was living out of my 1999 Ford E-450). I'm basically living a stationary life for the foreseeable future, as I have a nice backyard spot to park in. I want to make sure the Crown stays in good shape for when I eventually do need to move it, but am reluctant to take it out for drives.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:49 AM   #7
Bus Nut

I have been with State Farm since 1976. They insured both of my Crowns. Perhaps an inspection by a certified wood stove contractor and statement showing that the wood stove installation meets Washington state codes could persuade an insurance company. How far from your bed is the wood stove? Do you have the required fireproof floor covering, and proper distance from the wall of the bus? When we had our house built, we had a contractor install a wood stove. It was placed several feet from the wall and has a ceramic tile covered floor pedestal, and pulls combustion air from under the house. Could you replace the wood stove as a last resort. None of this is meant to be criticism, but trying to think like an insurance company.
You have a nice Crown. My first Crown came from Washington state. It was owned by a school district at Auburn.

Tags
introduction