Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
Skoolie

Hello from Southeast Idaho

Hi all, joined up almost a year ago but have never gotten around to posting anything till now. Mike here from Southeast Idaho. I grew up on the family dairy farm and took it over eventually. Ten years ago I sold the cows and started working for the local school district as the bus supervisor/mechanic and still farm on the side. A little background of how I got interested in bus conversions. Back in 1979, my dad drove this 1968 international bus home and said he was going to make a camper out of it. I thought to myself, yeah, right... My dad was very handy at building things and when he got through with it I was amazed at how nice it turned out. That little bus (24' bumper to bumper) has been from Canada to Quartzite, California to Florida multiple times. I inherited it when he built a bigger schoolie 10 years later, and other than the 37 year old paint falling off the outside, the rest of it is in excellent shape. School buses are built like tanks and things dont shake apart on the inside of them. The second bus my dad built was a 66 passenger ward bodied chevy chassis bus, started out with a 350 gas motor and ended up with a 3208 cat diesel for propulsion. This bus was an upgrade from the first one, has better windows, urethane insulation sprayed in, more of a motor home than a camper. He traveled all over the western states with that one as well. In about 2002 he picked up a 1976 GMC city bus from Salt Lake City, its a 40 foot single axle bus, commonly referred to as a "fishbowl" body. This one was the biggest project yet, it took him 3 years to do the conversion on it with the first two spent stripping, removing, reskinning, ect. It also got urethane insulation on the walls and ceilings, he used 1x2 furring strips to give a thermal break between the metal frame and inner coverings with 1" foam board insulation on the floor. He also used regular vinyl double pane house windows to help with condensation on the glass. This one just went from Idaho to Quartzite for the last 10 years of his life. When he passed away last november, I ended up with it too. A guy can never have too many buses right? The wife and I have been venturing from home a little with it this summer and having a blast with it. I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts on here and it makes me get excited about when the day comes a few years away that we can hit the road and tour the country in our bus.

Mike

84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:57 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
heck it sounds like you got all kinds of cool busses to take off and take trips in!!! I think its time for you to roll wheels somewhere, anywhere!! how cool!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:17 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome...and excellent! No such thing as too many buses. And...a "GMC Fish Bowl"? Haven't seen one of those on the road in a while. Please...some pix!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:06 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Sounds like your Dad had a good time just driving Mike. I'm new at this myself. Let's see some pics. Welcome aboard.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:02 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Welcome aboard Mike. Glad you are here
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 40ft RE
Engine: 3208 Cat Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 84
Hi Mike. Do you still work for the school bus system? Do you know if any of the 40ft type D busses are going to auction off the line this spring in your district? We are trying to find out what is going to auction in this side of the states.
Wolfmickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #7
Skoolie

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I am still currently working for the district. Our district doesn't have any type D buses, ours are all the type c buses. We wont have anything to sell for this year at least. My suggestion for you would be to look up districts on the net and call them so you can see what they have and when they would be selling buses next. Most of them should be willing to take your info and let you know when buses come up for sale. The buses we sell are pretty hammered by the time we let them go. Our district is a rural agricultural one and half the roads we drive on are gravel and the roads are solid washboards because of all the heavy truck traffic and it beats the buses to death.
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote