Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 07:45 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

I answered your pm also. The laws and issues with retitling didn't affect my decision as I didn't see much of a problem with them and feel that I could have done it if I kept the bus. That decision was purely financial. The policy I bought insured it as a bus, not an RV. Progressive commercial folks were very helpful with that and got the policy activated quickly so I could get on the road. I just told them 1 person seating for driver only. No passengers.

ironrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueNation View Post
I've been searching the web relentlessly to find another Kentuckian who has completed this process as I am running into all kinds of roadblocks to title my bus (03 Thomas 28 pass) as an RV in the commonwealth. Long story short the dept of manufactured housing (who inspects and provides credentials for motorhomes and rvs here in KY) says no way no how can I convert the bus to an rv and obtain their seal of approval because I am not a "manufacturer" and therefore cannot possibly build to suit their standards (which they could not provide for me). He said they couldn't stop me from converting it but it would have to be titled as a "bus". When I spoke with KDOT they said they don't "technically do that" (titling bus to rv conversion) BUT it happens all the time all I have to do is find a fire marshall willing to approve it and a county clerk that is willing to register it as an "RV" but there is no statute or regulation for guidance, just a wing and a prayer. Have you been able to title your bus yet and if so what channels did you go through to get it done?? Thanks for your time!
Actually they don't have any authority over RVs or trailers. They do have authority over RV and mobile home parks though. They basically rubber stamp the mobile homes as federal law dictates those building requirements. Outside of the federal regs, it would just be US building code for site prep, utilities, etc. None of which applies to RVs or trailers. Well they did further expand on types of RVs more than the KRS does, but that was for RV park reasons.

Any inspection of the vehicle isn't going to be more than the standard vehicle inspection by the Sherriff's office for the basics. Functioning lights, brakes, turn signals, etc. No fire marshal for the same reason no building codes, RVs aren't buildings. The clerk doesn't have a choice either, they are required to register a vehicle as the law dictates it to be registered. They can actually be fined for failing to do so. Just have to cross your Ts, dot your Is, point them in the right direction, and hope for adequate reading comprehension.
Unfettered Might is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 09:30 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Wink 🎶Isn't it Ironic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
Actually they don't have any authority over RVs or trailers. They do have authority over RV and mobile home parks though. They basically rubber stamp the mobile homes as federal law dictates those building requirements. Outside of the federal regs, it would just be US building code for site prep, utilities, etc. None of which applies to RVs or trailers. Well they did further expand on types of RVs more than the KRS does, but that was for RV park reasons.

Any inspection of the vehicle isn't going to be more than the standard vehicle inspection by the Sherriff's office for the basics. Functioning lights, brakes, turn signals, etc. No fire marshal for the same reason no building codes, RVs aren't buildings. The clerk doesn't have a choice either, they are required to register a vehicle as the law dictates it to be registered. They can actually be fined for failing to do so. Just have to cross your Ts, dot your Is, point them in the right direction, and hope for adequate reading comprehension.
-----------------------------
🙋"They" = (who exactly?)
We probably ought not instruct a State employee of thier authority nor advise said employee, that he/she has no choice. Do you suggest calling the👮police on the clerk?
🤣fa&fo

The original poster, IronRule, hasn't logged onto Skoolie.net in nearly five years.

The member you quoted, BigBlueNation, has been absent for over six years.

The thread died in 2018.

Final two words of your post:
"Reading Comprehension"
👉ironic

----------------

💡 Readers searching for a law to comprehend or dictate might read Rucker's suggestions in this thread: Skoolie.net/Kentucky-Here. Well worth the read!👍Thanks Rucker.

💡 There's not much about RVs at the Drive.KY.Gov site, but there is some valuable info there on title requirements & temporary transport tags.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 09:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post

The original poster, IronRule, hasn't logged onto skoolie.net in almost five years.

BigBlueNation has been absent this site for over six years.

The thread died in 2018. 🤷

Final two words of your post:
"Reading Comprehension"
I'm aware of that. Forums are repositories of information as much as they are active discussions. It is considered good etiquette to search for the information on forums before potentially asking the same question for the 1000th time, is it not? So if I put "kentucky registration" in the search and respond to misleading information with corrections, then the next person who reads the thread will not only be better informed, they'll have a greater chance of knowing who to contact for help.

My response served a purpose, yours not so much.
Unfettered Might is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
international, kentucky, senator, transit, ward