Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2021, 09:49 AM   #1

Lightbulb Hello from Southern Maine!

Hi All!
I just joined today. 39 year old guy living in Old Orchard Beach, ME and looking to convert a bus to a permanent off grid home. Working with some companies that specialize in conversions. Any help, hellos or advice are welcome!

My big task is going to be finding where to park it once it's done. I'm looking to stay in Southern Maine and since it will be an off grid Skoolie, all I really need is a private area of land to park it.

How has that journey been for you all? Was finding a place to park it difficult? Any leads in the Southern Maine area would also be so welcomed and appreciated!

MaineBibo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Welcome to the site.
And the crazy thoughts of converting a school bus to whatever...?

Not to rain on your parade, the Northeast in general sucks for bus parking on public roads or lands. Not to say it is impossible to stumble upon somewhere to park but it will be tough, if you haven't already discovered that.

Finding/locating a private property to park and/or work on your bus is what you'll likely end up with.

Good luck, and post pics if you go forward with your plan...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBibo81 View Post
Working with some companies that specialize in conversions. Any help, hellos or advice are welcome!
Advice: don't work with companies that specialize in conversions? Skoolies only seem to make financial sense as DIY projects, and even then they don't really make financial sense.

Also: hello and welcome to the forum.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:27 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBibo81 View Post
Hi All!
I just joined today. 39 year old guy living in Old Orchard Beach, ME and looking to convert a bus to a permanent off grid home. Working with some companies that specialize in conversions. Any help, hellos or advice are welcome!

My big task is going to be finding where to park it once it's done. I'm looking to stay in Southern Maine and since it will be an off grid Skoolie, all I really need is a private area of land to park it.

How has that journey been for you all? Was finding a place to park it difficult? Any leads in the Southern Maine area would also be so welcomed and appreciated!
We also have the same desire to love off-grid and while we are nearing our DIY completion (don’t pay to have it done - too expensive), finding land that will allow one to live full time is very difficult.

We were actually thinking of Maine because it is a better location for this but still can be difficult.

Research zoning codes in state and county to better understand.

Best of luck!
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
land, lot, maine, off grid, parking