Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2016, 03:46 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Midbus
Engine: GM 5.7 L31
Rated Cap: 19
Hello from Texas! Endeavoring to do a bus build

Hey guys, new to busses. Decided on upgrading our suv to give us and the dogs more space when camping and road trips.

This build will be a little more "overlanding" oriented. We tried really hard to find a 4x4 bus but those are unicorns unless you have 20 grand handy (we don't).

We fell in love with Big Bend in west Texas about 10 years ago. Tore ass on the back roads in my 92 integra and decided on that trip we needed a 4x4 on our return trip.

That lead to the realization that we could recline the driver/passenger seats nearly flat which pushed us further into the wild. We just did a 1 month trip (iirc around August) from Houston through all over Colorado back to Houston up to Salt Lake, over to Louisville, over to Boston, up through Maine, back down to Ny,Ny (I wanted a picture of my truck in Times Square) over the long island ferry to Montauk lighthouse then back to Louisville and finally back home to Willis, TX. Slept in a hotel maybe 5 times throughout the trip.

We decided we needed something we could stand up in so here we are.

I am absolutely terrible with woodworking. I spend a lot of time with a grinder/sanding. My strengths are in electronics and mechanical systems.

This is my last major project:

Project: Broken Driveline begins - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Looking forward to the community and currently have seen a ton of great ideas to use for our own build here. Hopefully we can contribute something of our own as well.

uhlhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
There seems to be a bunch of us coming rom the Houston area, so WELCOME!!!!! I know of several around the Brookshire area (where I'm planning to put my bus real soon) with some good woodworking shops in the area. If you're interested in finding out more, give me a PM and I'll help you get plugged into these guys.

M1031
Old 01-14-2016, 02:09 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Well Howdy...and Welcome! --- Always good to hear from another Texan. Especially a local one. A 4x4 would indeed be perfect for gallivanting around the Big Bend area (one of my favorite places on this particular planet). And while they are not that common, there are some out there.

Best of luck on the hunt and personally, I wouldn't give up on the 4x aspirations just yet .
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:32 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Midbus
Engine: GM 5.7 L31
Rated Cap: 19
Thanks guys. I'll keep that in mind M1031.

Anyone point me to the correct forum to start my build log? I'm 5 days in and the pics/documentation are already piling up.
uhlhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
My suggestion would be the "Skoolie Conversion Projects" and start a "new thread" there. Skoolie Conversion Projects - Skoolie.net
FlyboyHPD is offline   Reply With Quote