Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2021, 11:30 PM   #1

Question Hello From The Chile Capitol State (NM)

Hello there everyone, I am new to all of this lifestyle. I have done some research and I know that this life is for me. I have always wanted to just travel and be able to sustain myself everywhere I go, and this seems like the opportunity for me. My fiance is extremely glad to tag along in this adventure aswell (so exciting). We also just recently found out that we have a third person joining our family, and feel really confident that this will benefit us financially. Also have a friend tagging along with us. If anyone can give us some tips and tricks that would be amazing, we have no idea where to start. Also anything that you think we should/need to know please don't be shy! I hope everyone is doing good!!!

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:39 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Congratulations on the growing family...and welcome to the forum. What's going on in NM? I think I've seen at least 3 new NM members posting in the past few weeks. I've seen two, recently, in the Santa Fe area...and they seem very receptive to collaboration.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:41 PM   #3

Talking New Mexico Life

New Mexico is an amazing state...if you are ready to settle down lol. Im in Albuquerque currently and just ready to travel the "world" before I decide to settle down!
Old 02-02-2021, 11:51 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
New Mexico is an amazing state...if you are ready to settle down lol. Im in Albuquerque currently and just ready to travel the "world" before I decide to settle down!
When buds are legal there, I'd love to settle near Carlsbad, at least for a few years. I'm a caver. super caves out there!

Welcome to the fun!
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:53 PM   #5

thank you so much! Definetly a good place to go, but I do suggest starting in northern nm and travelling all the way down to get the true nm feel. SO many pretty sights
Old 02-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
When buds are legal there, I'd love to settle near Carlsbad, at least for a few years. I'm a caver. super caves out there!

Welcome to the fun!
We do have medical now! And in Carlsbad we have at least 3 medical dispensaries. So pick your illness and get a script.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:20 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

We have a saying here "Land of entrapment, come on vacation leave on probation"
Old 02-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
I drive cross country twice a year, northern NM is beautiful but NM, UT, MA, and OH are the 4 states for serious law enforcement harassment.
ISAF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISAF2009 View Post
I drive cross country twice a year, northern NM is beautiful but NM, UT, MA, and OH are the 4 states for serious law enforcement harassment.
Yep, it's the out of state plates. I monitor their radio coms and you can hear it.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #10
Bus Nut

And they are A-holes, I am the least interesting most law abiding guy ever, I’m an RN, purple heart vet, polo shirt and khaki wearing, square in a late model vehicle and I get treated like a criminal. NM state troopers pulled me over twice in one day for bs reasons and wrote no citations just for the CA plates.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Being a ham radio operator I listen to NMSP focus on out of state plates all the time. Not going to court if you are 3 states away right? I live within 70 miles of Texas in 3 directions and you would think that Texans are the worst drivers in the world by the number 10-29 calls on Texas drivers vs NM drivers. On my landcruiser I have my ham call on the front (NM only has rear plates) and they have plate readers in some cars (testing to see if they can make enough money) and they will make a u turn so fast that they almost wreck going through the median only to read the rear and u turn again going back. Good way to welcome tourists. In the mean time we have NM residents that are on their 6th DUI. Go figure.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:32 AM   #12
Bus Nut

You. An get police band on HAM even now that they are digital?
Old 02-03-2021, 11:11 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Not on ham radios. I use p-25 radios that are programed for ham and monitoring public safety. AZ uses UHF P-25 open for most of their traffic and NM is still using VHF analog narrow band for most of their traffic with UHF extenders (crossband mobile repeaters) in analog narrow band. Texas is using p-25 VHF open for most of their traffic. Along state lines sometimes they will set up crossband p-25 to analog repeaters for mutual aid and you have to sniff that out. SDR receivers are good for that. CHP is still using what I call the gold standard, low band vhf analog with 700 meg extenders. Encryption still has its problems with dropped packets and can cause lots of problems when used in fringe areas. We have a county here that is using it now and are having some problems. I have a cousin that just retired from the NPS as a park service police officer and her take on the P-25 encryption conversion was not good. Besides some times just knowing they are transmitting is enough to know they are close. Monitor their repeater input frequencies or extenders if they use them. That is how I used to know when CHP was in the airplane above. They used handheld extender radios in the airplane and it was readable for 20 miles or more.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Cool! During my brief stint in law enforcement we were using narrow band vhf. Supposedly it was encrypted but friends of mine would listen to me on duty with a cell phone app.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:20 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

There also p-25 scanners out there too. And cell phone apps.