Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1956
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford Big Block FE
Hello from the coast of South Carolina.

Greetings!!

I'm so new, I don't even have a bus to share with you yet. We are still camping in a Alaskan truck camper or a tent. I'm in the research/lurk stages and probably will be for a few months. When I find the right bus at the right time, I'll strike. For now, I'll be absorbing all your knowledge and ideas for my future build.

I'm 48, married, 4 kids from 12 to 29, self employed, almost a normal guy. I love to restore and build things, from clocks, to race cars, to 4x4s, to jet boats... the list goes on.

I'm looking to retire in the next 10 to 15 years. At that point the house will be sold and we will hit the road on a semi-permanent basis. The plastic and wood RVs don't really appeal to me. Too expensive, too boring, too fragile. I'm perfectly happy at the end of a dirt road in the woods, so for me, it's a bus. Not glamorous or fast, but durable. Since I will be doing all my own repairs, I'm leaning toward a traditional bus with a hood. I think y'all call it a dog nose. My engine of choice is the DT466, preferably mechanical. I'm familiar with them from a previous employment and liked them then.

I figure it will take me at least 10 years to complete the conversion. It will be usable in the first 6 months and then we will have 9.5 years of refinement and tweaking to make it perfect.

I'd like it to be a stand alone miniature home. A solar powered, self contained, boondocking machine. North in the summer, south in the winter and one end of the continent to the other.

Till next time, I'll be in the back listening and taking notes.

Allen

Toyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome Allen! --- Sounds like a plan to me. And taking your time to do it right will definitely pay off. Happy reading...there is tons of good info here to fit just about any concept.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
At this point in my build I'm starting to wonder if 10 years will be long enough!
Old 12-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Nah...piece-o-cake --- You'll probably wrap it up in 119.75 months.

But then...as has been previously noted here...

"You are never really DONE."
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote