Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

Year: 1992
Hello From Wisconsin!

Partner and I are outfitting a 1992 school bus and will be tackling electrical/ plumbing today. Let me know if anyone has any hot tips!
Happy School Bussing!

StoryBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Where in WI? I'm in River Falls and just stripped all seats out of a 2001 International. Getting ready to install electrical.

-Steven
mplsdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
I'm in Madison and trying to finish sealing all the little holes in the floor (haven't welded in like 10 yrs. hope I remember how, lol)

I'm gna be taking the inside wall and ceiling panels out soon and have no fkn idea how to do it. Hoorayy!!
doctressjulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I'm skipping that part (inside wall). I think I'll use the channel under the chair rail for wiring and if I need to cross the floor I'll leave a seam in my rigid foam underlayment.

For the floor I was planning on filling those holes with some sort of rubber or silicone and then covering with 1/2 inch rigid, then laminate or vinyl.

Is your bus a 77 passenger?
Old 09-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
2003 Bluebird TCFE 78 passenger.

Tinted windows, kick-ass sound system. I built a deck on the roof already.
doctressjulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #6

Year: 1992
Hey @mplsdog ! We are up in northern WI near Wausau. If you're willing to snap some pictures or let us know a little about how you're tackling the electrical we would love your insight!

Thanks for posting ;)
StoryBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:39 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Always nice to see more Wisconsin people on here! I'm near Madison as well, no skoolie but I do drive buses for a living, haha.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:45 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Here's the plan:

I think I'll keep my house batteries separate from my alternator and charge via solar and shore. So I'm planning on putting my electrical setup in the back of the bus. We reserved about 6 feet deep in the back before the bedroom for storage and electrical "stuff."

I'm going to install a 50amp receptacle in the back driver's side corner for shore power. I've found some great resources on this site for components. I'm thinking Renology 200w solar kit for roof. That should help keep my batteries trickle charged without having to be plugged in. I'm thinking two Troajn golf cart batteries (see this thread: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/so...wer-14440.html)

I want an all-in-one charger/inverter and saw this one (scroll down) Steve the Vandweller: Converting and Living In Your Van: Electrical Systems

Anyways, it's all in my head, but my first purchase will be the receptacle, necessary adapters, and romex for wiring. At a minimum I'd like to get the shore power all hooked up so I can power my tools and lights without running an extension cord and power strip from my house.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:01 AM   #9

Im a wisconsite! anyone near green bay in case I need help?
flying_babyb is offline   Reply With Quote