Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: INTL
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Hello! I finally did it!!

I guess I should finally register on this site seeing as I have been lurking and dreaming for several years!

Name is Matt and yes, I finally bought a Bus! Been wanting to do this for many years now and finally did. I purchased a 2001 International FE with a DT466E and Allison MD-3060 tranny. 137K on the clock. 84 pax. She's a big'un!!

I've learned a lot from this site over the last year or so and am eager to convert my bus to a rv/tiny home. Currently I reside in Wyoming. Anyway, Hello All!! Looking forward to being part of the skoolie community!

mattn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Hello and welcome

You must have listened well because that's a very nice power package.

Good luck with your build.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: INTL
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Thanks for the welcome Robin!

A few years ago I passed on a local transit bus (i.e. not a school bus, but looked like a school bus) with a Cummins 8.3 and Ally MT643 in it with a little over 130K. When I was looking at it the owner lowered and raised the chassis (air ride suspension?) which was really nice. They were asking 5K and I almost bought it, but it was a little too much at the time.

After reading this site for a awhile I started looking for the engine/tranny combo in my bus. Had to go 1K miles to get it, but get it I did!

I have already started on the conversion by removing all the seats. I plan on ripping up the floor tonight, but don't expect any rust since it was an AZ bus and there is no rust anywhere else, but we'll see.
mattn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
The floors are hard to clean, so sometimes they're washed out with a hose or at least a mop. Kid grime is difficult to get out. I think that's why so many floors are as rusty as they are. An even higher level of cleanliness is achieved by gutting the interior as you already know. Eventually you see that last wad of rock hard gum and that last candy wrapper.

We do compete to see who finds the most change in their bus as it's dismantled. Mine was free of change but had some nice wads of gum remaining.

You're off to a good start. I see rivets in your future.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:36 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Hello and welcome! I have the same but an '02. However, I'm in NY and I have a bit of rust to contend with....I look forward to your build

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk