Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2021, 01:06 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hello Lovely People!

Hello everyone! So nice to meet some new Skoolie enthusiasts. I’m Lenore and an looking for my first bus to purchase and convert. I am a single mother, tattoo artist, and bartender, and would much rather be traveling full time. I am lucky enough to have a very skilled family that is going to help us do all the work ourselves, but I am really struggling to find the exact bus I must have.

I know it seems silly to some people, but we have some pretty specific demands that come with any type of home. I will be purchasing a 40’ Bluebird with the 8.3L Cummins/Allison combo. The problem is, it seems everyone is either converting their own buses at the moment, or buying up the buses to sell to those that are. I know it is a popular option, so I am hoping someone will take pity and let us know if they happen to see one. I am checking all the sites and classified constantly, but the ones I see are far beyond what we are able to pay for the initial bus. Right now I have about $7000, and I understand I might need to allocate more toward it eventually. C'est la vie.

I am really excited to start this journey and make lots of friends along the way. I appreciate any help and advice as well. Thank you if you made it to the end! Hugs! 💜

Lenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:09 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Welcome
I bid on 4 busses and lost all but 3. Then they canceled the fourth one because of a mix up on their end. It takes time to find the one you're looking for. There's GovDeals and all surplus and a few others. Don't rush into it until you're sure. It's sad to see when someone buys a bus and then finds out it only goes 45 mph or it has a weak transmission or needs 6 tires or...
Good luck to you on your quest
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:09 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome to the site! It took me two months to find what I was looking for, so be patient and keep searching.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:55 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
It's not silly at all, to be particular and specific. But that level of specificity is both a blessing and a curse. The blessing is that it really narrows the focus of your search...and, of course, that's also the curse...or the challenge...because it limits the options.

To help us help you, let me ask a few questions. Where are you located, or willing to travel in your shopping? Do you want a particular interior height? Will you be doing a roof raise? Are you looking for a particular age/year range?

You've obviously done some good research, because you picked some good things. But are you open to other options, if they meet your needs, or are these set in stone? Not to sway you from your choices, but if you're open to other options here's an example that's similar - this is a Blue Bird, but with a Cat C7, in Oklahoma. It looks like a good bus with pretty low miles and storage bays...and it's got cool air horns!

https://www.purplewave.com/auction/2...s-Bus-Oklahoma

And...as said by the wise ones above...be patient and don't rush. The right bus is out there.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:19 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
Welcome
I bid on 4 busses and lost all but 3. Then they canceled the fourth one because of a mix up on their end. It takes time to find the one you're looking for. There's GovDeals and all surplus and a few others. Don't rush into it until you're sure. It's sad to see when someone buys a bus and then finds out it only goes 45 mph or it has a weak transmission or needs 6 tires or...
Good luck to you on your quest

Thank you so much! Yeah, I want to be patient and find exactly what I want. I plan on doing a lot more research as well. I am still quite new to this.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:19 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Welcome to the site! It took me two months to find what I was looking for, so be patient and keep searching.

Thank you! Trying my hardest, but it’s gets exciting when you’re at the point of actually buying. Lol.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:30 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
To help us help you, let me ask a few questions. Where are you located, or willing to travel in your shopping? Do you want a particular interior height? Will you be doing a roof raise? Are you looking for a particular age/year range?

You've obviously done some good research, because you picked some good things. But are you open to other options, if they meet your needs, or are these set in stone? Not to sway you from your choices, but if you're open to other options here's an example that's similar - this is a Blue Bird, but with a Cat C7, in Oklahoma. It looks like a good bus with pretty low miles and storage bays...and it's got cool air horns!

Hello! That is quite a lovely option. If the Cummins was something I could budge on, that would be perfect. I just already know how to do a lot with a Cummins, and the others seem quite foreign when I’ve seen them up close. I know they have a lot of similarities, it’s just where I’m comfortable, I guess. Lol

I am currently in Kentucky, but don’t mind to travel to get it, but I definitely want something I don’t have to worry with too much rust. I’m okay removing some, of course, but trying to keep it to southern states. Headroom doesn’t matter so much, because we will be doing a roof raise. Age isn’t a huge issue, but I would like to stay under 150k miles, a little higher if absolutely necessary for a good deal.

Thank you for the thought. I look forward to sharing the experience with those of you I meet. My son is wanting a dreaded YouTube channel and blog site, so unfortunately for you guys, I will be forced to share. Lol. Thanks again! 💜
Old 02-17-2021, 12:18 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Right on...I respect that. I certainly wasn't trying to sway you from the Cummins. We have a Freightliner FL60 ambulance conversion with the 8.3 and it's been absolutely reliable and strong for the 5 years we've owned it. It's a good choice.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:08 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Right on...I respect that. I certainly wasn't trying to sway you from the Cummins. We have a Freightliner FL60 ambulance conversion with the 8.3 and it's been absolutely reliable and strong for the 5 years we've owned it. It's a good choice.
That’s so cool! When my son goes off on his own, I would love to do a smaller conversion like that. Maybe for when we travel Europe again. We have a lot of animals, and definitely need the room now, though. Lol.

No worries at all. I love getting any advice and experience from others. You have to be willing to question things, or you’ll never learn. 😊
Old 02-17-2021, 07:43 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Did you see this bus, which Live.Klaff.Love found and posted in the "non-affiliated buses for sale" thread? It's the bus you want...but the price is higher than you hoped. But for a bus like this, with under bay storage and everything you specified, I think getting it for $7k in this market might be tough. It might be worth looking into, though, and see if they're flexible...especially since they have several of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-SUPER-...wAAOSwjMFftajS
Old 02-17-2021, 09:32 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Did you see this bus, which Live.Klaff.Love found and posted in the "non-affiliated buses for sale" thread? It's the bus you want...but the price is higher than you hoped. But for a bus like this, with under bay storage and everything you specified, I think getting it for $7k in this market might be tough. It might be worth looking into, though, and see if they're flexible...especially since they have several of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-SUPER-...wAAOSwjMFftajS
Very nice looking bus for sure but with those high miles the price is way too big of a gamble in my opinion. Even with a good service schedule that's a lot of miles/hours on that engine, and all those hours are on every other part and piece of that bus. Not saying that it's not a nice looking bus(love to have it) but not at that price.
Just my opinion
Good luck with the search

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:22 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Apparently, it's been three years since I bought my bus. It's turning out to be a good bus, but if I knew then what I knew now, I'd have waited a bit to find something that fit my "new knowledge list". But....! There's always a but.

I bought my bus from a Catholic High School (always joke it's been blessed). They were asking $4k, yet when I went to look at it the guy said he take $3k. I ended up giving him $2,300. Yet, (hindsight) I had to switch out the rear end to get it to cruise at a reasonable rpm. Add $2500. But, I now cruise at 60mph and 2k rpm.

The tires all have great tread. I always say I bought the tires and got the bus for free.

It has an MT643 tranny, and today, I just gave it it's official shift and hill climbing test and it passed! It pulled a 6% grade at 45mph and 2200 rpm for two miles after a half mile run from 20mph up to almost 55mph. I had to back off the throttle to keep it from going faster.

It has a T444E and 187K miles. When I test drove it, it had a little hick-up during cruise, but after driving it home, it cleared up. It just needed to blow out it's system.

I had a bunch of maintenance records, but didn't review them until just recently. All 8 injectors have been replaced, the hpop pump, and a few other expensive and vital parts had all been replaced. From 2015 to 2018, the previous owner put over $22k in maintenance! Almost 10x more than I paid for it.

In addition, I was very disappointed that there is essentially no aftermarket tuning for the T444E, yet just today, I saw a YouTube video about a company that now can tune the T444E!!! They added 25hp, then another 35hp for a total of 60hp.

After our testing today, my friend, a diesel nut, commented about how the engine ran smooth as can be.

In the last couple of days it's gotten a new fuel filter and additives, air filter and oil change. Tomorrow, the tranny fluid and then the coolant and hoses. She'll be ready for her first trip.

The interior isn't done, but it's functional for a couple of days camping.

I've done 98% of the work myself with a lot of encouragement, advice and brainstorming with my friend, so it's been a long three years. There's a lot more for me to do to get the bus where I want it, but it's functional and it runs strong.

My point is, I didn't get the perfect bus. I wasn't sure of anything I was getting into. It's taken way longer than I thought, but in the end, I guess she was the bus for me. So thankful for Skoolie.net and YouTube!

I hope you find your bus, have a great journey in learning and most importantly, have fun!
Old 02-17-2021, 11:29 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Yup...definitely some miles there...and not cheap. But I'm afraid Lenore won't find what she's seeking for $7,000 or less. I hope she does, but prices definitely seem to be going up. On the other hand, if one is flexible in finding the bus that fits their goals...without being locked in to just one particular set of parameters...you can still find deals. A good example of that is the 1982 Gillig Phantom which sold today for $2600. A 40-footer with a Detroit 6V92T, a Telma retarder, and fewer than 80k miles. While not a school bus, this will make a great and fun platform for someone who appreciates the older 2-stroke diesels. A fairly flat ceiling, 6' 6" headroom, a great air ride... and, yes, I bid on it myself...but we're already a bit backed up. But this was too nice, at that price, to not try.

Anyway, my point is...good buses, at good prices, are out there. But narrowing a search to one hard set of non-negotiables definitely narrows the field.

Lenore...OP...you'll find your bus eventually. But it may not match your current vision or budget. We're rooting for you, though!
Old 02-18-2021, 02:02 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Did you see this bus, which Live.Klaff.Love found and posted in the "non-affiliated buses for sale" thread?
I had actually seen this searching eBay, but the mileage is too high for me, unfortunately. Yes, definitely a hard ask, especially right now with everyone scooping them up so quickly. I’m watching another auction with some, and they’re going about my price, but I’ll have to see what they are at the end. Lol

Thank you so much!
Old 02-18-2021, 02:04 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Even with a good service schedule that's a lot of miles/hours on that engine, and all those hours are on every other part and piece of that bus.
Good luck with the search

Oscar
I agree, and thank you as well! I’m scared of the higher mileage, especially with me taking my son out west alone. I can do minor repairs, but definitely don’t know enough to trust random mechanics. This process is exhausting. Lol
Old 02-18-2021, 02:11 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
My point is, I didn't get the perfect bus. I wasn't sure of anything I was getting into. It's taken way longer than I thought, but in the end, I guess she was the bus for me. So thankful for Skoolie.net and YouTube!

I hope you find your bus, have a great journey in learning and most importantly, have fun!

Oh, that’s awesome. Good for you! I’m so glad you got such a great bus after all of that. Thank you for the encouragement. I really need it. I’m learning so much, though, and am so excited to get her and start to work. We already have some beautiful and functional things to put in, so I’m a bit eager to get going. Trying this whole “patience” thing? idk.

P.S. I will be creeping on you all to see any photos you’ve posted, so please have lots. 💜
Old 02-18-2021, 02:15 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Lenore...OP...you'll find your bus eventually. But it may not match your current vision or budget. We're rooting for you, though!
I learned early to cross my fingers, but not hold my breath. Lol. That’s the mindset I’ve got going. I’ve lost it, but saw a thread someone was talking about these buses in Arizona at $7k, so I’ll find and reach out to him. Probably all gone, but worth a shot.

You guys are already the best. Can’t wait to share progress here. 💜💜💜
Old 02-18-2021, 08:52 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Good engine and trans, reasonable mileage. Expect the price to go up at the end of the auction.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...53&acctid=3880
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:02 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
Good engine and trans, reasonable mileage. Expect the price to go up at the end of the auction.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...53&acctid=3880
You’re just awesome. Yes, this is the main one I’ve been watching. I expect it to go for well over what I can pay right now, but it’s a good gauge for what I’ll end up paying. I just wish there were more like this for sale at anytime. I swear, I’ve got a list of about 30 of the 5.9L Cummins that are otherwise perfect. I just know from experience that I’ll regret not going bigger, especially for traveling out west. Sadness. 😞
Old 02-19-2021, 01:38 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Hello from Flemingsburg, KY. I didn't do much engine/transmission research, so I ended up with a T444E and AT545. It made the trip from Oregon to me in NH, and later from NH down to KY. I'm now looking at a local rig with a DT466 to do an engine/trans swap so I can be a little more mobile. Good luck with your search, if I was doing it from scratch again I'd be after exactly what you are.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote