Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2024, 02:24 AM   #1

Hello, new and need advice

Hello, Iím new to the whole idea of the Skoolie life and honestly canít wait to get started! But before I can do that I need some advice. Iím 6í2Ē tall and am looking for a bus that will give me the most head room after flooring and ceilings and installed, any knowledge would be greatly appreciated and welcomed!
Thanks in advance
Mykal

Mikalisfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:04 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
International made some high-ceiling buses that were (are) 6'7" down the center aisle, but these are pretty rare. High-ceiling buses from Blue Bird and Thomas/Freightliner are more like 6'4" to 6'5" (Thomas C2s, which are very common on the roads these days, are also 6'7" but speaking as someone who drives these for work I would not want a C2 as a skoolie). The majority of older buses are much lower-ceiling than this, more like 6'1" to 6'2".

I am 6'0" and have a 6'7" International for my skoolie. My floor is 2" XPS with 3/4" plywood and 5mm underlayment plus vinyl flooring; my ceiling is 1.5" XPS packed between the ribs with 3/4" XPS on top of the ribs and 5mm underlayment. This leaves me a finished height of 6'3" down the center aisle, which is really the bare minimum of clearance needed for walking normally inside the bus.

As a 6'2" person, without doing a roof raise you would need to find a high-ceiling International, use less insulation than 2" all around, and restrict yourself to a center-aisle layout (which many people do not like) in order to have adequate headroom. Otherwise you would need to do a roof raise, which is not cheap or particularly easy and would make insuring your skoolie difficult or impossible.

You could also get a low-floor transit bus, which generally have much higher ceilings.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:54 AM   #3

Thank you so much, very informative. I’ll start doing my research into your suggestions and see what I can get my hands on.
Old 04-11-2024, 11:42 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
6'-7" Intergrated Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
International made some high-ceiling buses that were (are) 6'7" down the center aisle, but these are pretty rare. High-ceiling buses from Blue Bird and Thomas/Freightliner are more like 6'4" to 6'5" (Thomas C2s, which are very common on the roads these days, are also 6'7" but speaking as someone who drives these for work I would not want a C2 as a skoolie). The majority of older buses are much lower-ceiling than this, more like 6'1" to 6'2".

I am 6'0" and have a 6'7" International for my skoolie. My floor is 2" XPS with 3/4" plywood and 5mm underlayment plus vinyl flooring; my ceiling is 1.5" XPS packed between the ribs with 3/4" XPS on top of the ribs and 5mm underlayment. This leaves me a finished height of 6'3" down the center aisle, which is really the bare minimum of clearance needed for walking normally inside the bus.

As a 6'2" person, without doing a roof raise you would need to find a high-ceiling International, use less insulation than 2" all around, and restrict yourself to a center-aisle layout (which many people do not like) in order to have adequate headroom. Otherwise you would need to do a roof raise, which is not cheap or particularly easy and would make insuring your skoolie difficult or impossible.

You could also get a low-floor transit bus, which generally have much higher ceilings.

6'-7" down the center

6'-4.5" @ two foot off-center
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 04:26 PM   #5

From what I’ve been able to find the coach ones are out of my price range unfortunately.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:00 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Shuttle Buses have very high roofs.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 08:25 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 63&5
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: HPO
Engine: Cummins 220
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
This! They are also more affordable in the 1 to 1.5 ton range (example Ford E350/E450 cutaway models). They have less carrying capacity than a fullsize school bus platform but we have many members here driving them all over the scenery.
UFO pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 09:49 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Side-by-Side Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Shuttles can be tall, wide & long. Often with flat floors (no wheel wells) like the one below.

(Same RE bus shown in the interior photos of the previous post)

Both of the IC buses above are 42ft long, but the flat-floor shuttle is taller & wider inside.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 11:59 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
since many people are building skoolies for the sheer strength, shuttles typically have a LOT more body flex and will come apart in a rollover crash much easier than a skoolie will.. shuttles are great for somewhat minimal builds where there arent a lot of hard-attached walls.. but ive seen people;s walls come detached due to body flex.. granted that was a starcraft shuttle which is probably one of the worse.. these IC may be built better depending on its body-builder..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 02:39 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
a 6 inch raise would be easy and cheap.
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:41 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO pilot View Post
This! They are also more affordable in the 1 to 1.5 ton range (example Ford E350/E450 cutaway models). They have less carrying capacity than a fullsize school bus platform but we have many members here driving them all over the scenery.
They also have the benefit of emulating Class C RVs, so are theoretically a bit more stealth when booking RV and camping sites.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote