Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #1

Hello - New Mid Bus - Florida

Hi All,

Long time reader but now I am active.

I just bought a 2004 Bluebird mid bus for a conversion. The previous owner had started a conversion (regretfully without ripping out the floor or ceiling) that I will finish in its current state. It has no electrical or plumbing so I have stared there but it did come with a NH toilet.

Engine is a CAT C7 ACERT
Trans : ? - It does 70mph on flat ground on the test drive so I wasn't super concerned.

I am near the Tampa area if there are any other Skoolie nuts nearby.

Buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:34 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
That's a great size! That interior start actually looks like a decent layout...something you can work with. And we had a Cat C7 with no issues at all. Yay, a nice Skoolie!
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:38 PM   #3

Thanks! One worry I had with the layout was that the kitchen sink is on the OPPOSITE side as the shower drain. I am working all that out now. It looks like I can get a 1in PVC in-between the frame and the shell crossbraces to get it back to a grey water tank but still determining the best COA there.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:56 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: MidBus
Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 19
OK, you confused me there for a moment. Mid Bus is also the name of a now defunct school bus manufacturer (now part of Collins)... A Bluebird Mid Bus didn't compute (much like a Bluebird Thomas wouldn't).

Mid-size bus... ooooh Those do look nice.
Beirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:58 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Can you just move the kitchen as one piece to the other side? I see the overhang would be be challenging but...
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:59 PM   #6

Ha sorry for the confusion Beirdo, ironically this mid-sized bus is from WA. The owner drove his family in it across the US to FL before it was for sale near me. I got lucky.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:01 PM   #7

It isnt really plumbed in yet so its an option. I just want sure how hard the cross-bus plumbing would be to fix under the bus.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:14 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beirdo View Post
OK, you confused me there for a moment. Mid Bus is also the name of a now defunct school bus manufacturer (now part of Collins)... A Bluebird Mid Bus didn't compute (much like a Bluebird Thomas wouldn't).

Mid-size bus... ooooh Those do look nice.

Wayne morphed into Mid-bus for awhile at one point
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:38 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

As one who recently decided to go skoolie I’m way down on the steep learning curve. What, exactly, does a mid bus mean. Also frustrated in shopping for a bus that no one gives lengths. All the video tours you watch you never hear about length of the bus.
Romoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:41 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Caterpillar 3126B
Rated Cap: 66
I don't know if it helps you, but we mounted a 46 gallon tank transversely underneath our bus for grey water, and added drain ports with Uniseal inserts on either side so that our kitchen sink can drain on the passenger side and our shower can drain on the driver side. Behind the grey tank are 2 fresh water tanks of the same size. This is on a 10 window Blue Bird Pusher, so no drive shaft to be concerned about. I don't know the details on your bus, the pictures didn't show up for me.
CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:17 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romoshka View Post
As one who recently decided to go skoolie I’m way down on the steep learning curve. What, exactly, does a mid bus mean. Also frustrated in shopping for a bus that no one gives lengths. All the video tours you watch you never hear about length of the bus.

Mid-bus was a brand name of a bus body manufacturer.. there were / are many manufacturers of bus bodies. like thomas, IC bus, Bluebird, etc..

it used to be that schools could choose their chassis and body manufacturer separately.. they could buy a blue-bird body with an IH or chevy or ford chassis, etc..

Mid bus is a term some people use to refer to a mid-length too.. counting the windows down the side a "mid length bus" might have 8 or 9. a short bus might have 4,5 or 6 windows.. a full length bus might have 11-14 windows down the side..

a Type A or Cutaway bus is a term that refers to a bus as having the front end of what looks like a normal work van and then a bus body on the back. these are typically short busses (4-6 windows) and have a regular van door as a driver entrance

a type C, CV, Dog-nose, or conventional are terms that refer to larger chassis busses that still have a Hood on the front.. the "regular school bus" look.. IH 3800 chassis, Freightliner FS65 chassis, etc these busses are typically in the 6-12 window length and have a big right-side entrance door and sliding window for a driver window.

a type FE or Front engine bus is a Flat-nose with the engine in the front, these busses have a large doghouse (hump) in the front and are full size chassis busses.. they range typically from 9-14 windows..

a type RE or rear engine bus is a Flat-nose with the engine in the rear. you can identify them as they will have the radiator in the back.. most have the radiator on the side of the bus.. some of the IC / asmtran branded had thew radiator on the rear.. these busses will have a rear window but no rear exit door.. there will be no dog-house in the front.. these are full chassis busses generally in the 11-15 windows...

-Christopher
Old 12-28-2020, 01:28 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: MidBus
Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 19
Very nice. We should get a pinned version of that somewhere
Beirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:43 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Want to add that each window is about 28" rib to rib.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:23 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
C7 is my favorite cat powerplant.
ISAF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:35 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISAF2009 View Post
C7 is my favorite cat powerplant.

I dont own any C7s however I have some friends thaty have a few and I also really like them. im still learning my way around the cat ET software and the way of cracking factory passcodes to alter power settings and such.. some of the later C7s had issues with ACERT but the 04-07 are as solid as its predecessor the 3126 and they tend to be more powerful than the 3126s