Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #1

Year: 2003
Engine: American Trans. Corp
Hello! Newbie Problems!

Hi everyone!

My business partner and I just bought a bus at auction, and honestly, I couldn't tell you what it is exactly. It is a 77 seat flat nose puller and the auction papers have about 3 manufacturers on it. We know it is a 2003, and its got IC on the top, Bergstrom listed on the inside, and American Trans Corp on the paperwork. We plan on removing everything on the inside, reinforcing the flooring, raising the roof about 20 inches and making our bus into a mobile fitness center ready to make house calls!

As most other newbies on the threads have posted; our bus does not start. We got brand new batteries, but what I suspect is the problem are the various safety sensors. This bus is equipped with a Child Reminder System, and International's Passive Theft Deterrent System (among other surprises I'm sure).

I am reading through the various threads that are already out there, but what I am really looking for is a schematic or something of our bus (first step would be to identify it properly). We plan on bypassing the systems completely and creating our own ignition that goes straight to the starter so we can rewire the whole thing without tripping another sensor.

Anyway, sorry for the long introductory post. And thank you in advance for any insight anyone can lend!

Thanks!

CP

Capie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
Traveling

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Welcome !

Mobile Fitness Center ? That is a first, I think. Very clever. Would love to hear more. There was a mobile massage therapist...

Some of the doors need to be unlocked, some locked. fool around with it until you get it.

There is a circuit that controls a solenoid in the fusebox by the driver. If the circuit isn't correct, the solenoid doesn't let the bus fire.

Search above for stuff like this
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Sounds like you got a nice bus. Congrats.

The "child reminder system" is commonly called the interlock system. All emergency exits must be unlocked before the bus will start. There are vids on youtube explaining, to some extent, the interlock and how to disable it.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post

The "child reminder system" is commonly called the interlock system. All emergency exits must be unlocked before the bus will start. There are vids on youtube explaining, to some extent, the interlock and how to disable it.
Specifically, there is also a child minder system separate from the normal exit interlocks.

It has a switch, or something, that makes the driver walk to the back of the bus before it will run. Not sure of all the details.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #5
Bus Geek

That's correct. I've heard of that system on newer buses but have no experience with it.

Just recently there was a child, in this state, that was left at the bus barn for five hours in the cold. Apparently that system requires the driver to push a button in the rear of the bus, not only at startup but also at shutdown. Somehow the driver had her back to the sleeping child even though she had to walk to the rear of the bus to push the button. That probably ended someone's career choice as a bus driver.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
That's correct. I've heard of that system on newer buses but have no experience with it.

Just recently there was a child, in this state, that was left at the bus barn for five hours in the cold. Apparently that system requires the driver to push a button in the rear of the bus, not only at startup but also at shutdown. Somehow the driver had her back to the sleeping child even though she had to walk to the rear of the bus to push the button. That probably ended someone's career choice as a bus driver.
The kid was well rested though

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Personally I think a kid would have to hide under a seat to remain in a bus at the bus barn. Also, most of us automatically wake up when a vehicle is shut off. Sounds like he was waiting for the trip home, but got cold. My pity is with the bus driver. Actually I have pity for all bus drivers.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Mobile Fitness Center ? That is a first, I think. Very clever. Would love to hear more. There was a mobile massage therapist...

Some of the doors need to be unlocked, some locked. fool around with it until you get it.

There is a circuit that controls a solenoid in the fusebox by the driver. If the circuit isn't correct, the solenoid doesn't let the bus fire.

Search above for stuff like this

Awesome thank you! We are based in Southwest Florida, and moving our business to Central Florida. We specialize in endurance sports, 5K up to Marathons, Trithlons up to Ironman and so on. The bus will allow us to make house calls to train our clients one on one. Additionally, we want to host small group training sessions inside and outside the bus. Lastly, we think it's going to be cool as hell to pull up to all our races with this thing haha
Old 12-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #9

Quote:

Woot, thanks! Going to be binging those now, and trying a few tonight. Thank you again!