Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2020, 07:38 PM   #1

Hello There!

Hello! I'm new here, so I figured I should introduce myself. I'm currently located in the southern region of West Virginia, near Beckley and Lewisburg!

I have always been interested in bus conversions and tiny houses, but recent events are making me consider actually doing a conversion a little more seriously. 2020 has been a heck of a year for me so far: I lost my job, my truck got totaled and salvaged, lost my apartment, and, as of a week ago, I had to let my motorcycle go (because my finance company refused to defer payments during the outbreak...smh).

So now I am legitimately thinking of saving what I can for a bus to fix up and convert for me and my dog to live in instead of bouncing back & forth between family/friends couches and sleeping in my tent. I can do a lot of repairs myself (three degrees in automotive, heavy diesel repair, and welding "should" help, right? Lol), and I already have a few ideas for builds.

Anywho, looking forward to meeting you all, and learning more about skoolies!

Cranneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranneo View Post
Hello! I'm new here, so I figured I should introduce myself. I'm currently located in the southern region of West Virginia, near Beckley and Lewisburg!

I have always been interested in bus conversions and tiny houses, but recent events are making me consider actually doing a conversion a little more seriously. 2020 has been a heck of a year for me so far: I lost my job, my truck got totaled and salvaged, lost my apartment, and, as of a week ago, I had to let my motorcycle go (because my finance company refused to defer payments during the outbreak...smh).

So now I am legitimately thinking of saving what I can for a bus to fix up and convert for me and my dog to live in instead of bouncing back & forth between family/friends couches and sleeping in my tent. I can do a lot of repairs myself (three degrees in automotive, heavy diesel repair, and welding "should" help, right? Lol), and I already have a few ideas for builds.

welcome aboard. You might want to try to get yourself restablished before taking on a project that will require your time & money. It is not to say it can't be done, it is a matter of priorities. Good luck !!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
welcome aboard. You might want to try to get yourself restablished before taking on a project that will require your time & money. It is not to say it can't be done, it is a matter of priorities. Good luck !!
You would not believe how many times I have heard that exact same phrase in the past two months. Ironically, by literally anyone I've talked to about getting a job, a cheap car, or an apartment.

This isn't a decision I'm making lightly or on a whim.

So, thank you, I guess?
Cranneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:47 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
There’s gotta be million ways to convert a bus. One of which is to move into it when the seats are still in. You can do it!
Old 04-07-2020, 11:05 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
You would not believe how many times I have heard that exact same phrase in the past two months. Ironically, by literally anyone I've talked to about getting a job, a cheap car, or an apartment.

This isn't a decision I'm making lightly or on a whim.

So, thank you, I guess?
Yeah, I’m not meaning for it to sound like a bummer comment. I have always liked standing conventional wisdom on its head. I’m just trying to give a sane version of insanity. Lol !! I really can’t speak for anyone else on this forum, but I would be willing to bet that the majority of us on here have more than once said, “My God, what have I gotten myself into”? I say insanity because I know a lot of my friends and acquaintances think I’m about half nuts. On another note, I can relate to having tough times. Stay positive and mean it. I’ll be the first to say, if you want to do something bad enough, there ain’t one damn person that can stop you !!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom 40'
Engine: DDECII 6V92T Allison MT647
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs of potential
Quote:

Welcome aboard Cranneo
Tough luck doesn't always last, you'll get through this s#!t too.
You've got skills, and there are alot of folks here that are ready to lend a helpful word.
Rich
Phantom5824 is offline   Reply With Quote