Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3
Cool Helloo from tampa

Hello everyone so glad i found this site. Ill be purchasing a bus by June to start converting immediately. My lease for my apt is up in November which i dont plan on renewing on hopes that ill have most of this completed or at least livable by then. Also plan on taking a 15k loan to fund this project. Does everyone think this is enough time and money to complete if i devote most of my time and energy into it? Also whats everyone experience with towing a vehicle?

FROM WHAT I GATHERED I SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR A BUS W/

ENGINE - CUMMINS 8.3 OR DT466
TRANS - MD3060 OR MT643
OLDSKOOKLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Hello Oldskooklie
You're in the right place because people here love to help you make a decision on the right bus with the right engine, transmission and rear end. Lots of free advice coming shortly.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
WIbluebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 926
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Where are you going to park the bus? It's hard to find places in a city like Tampa where it's mostly snooty RV parks where parking spots are expensive and mostly off limits to skoolies.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3
my apt complex has a gated lot down the road from me that ive seen people keep boat so hoping theyll let me keep the bus there. if not ill have to find a storage facility where i can park and work on it
OLDSKOOKLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #5
Skoolie
 
NowhereFast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 171
Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Welcome, we're in Sarasota, Florida. If you need anything don't be afraid to contact. In the middle of our build and have gone through a lot of the same process you're about to!
__________________
Nowhere Fast - Sarasota, Florida
NowhereFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,215
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Hey there, another Floridian!
I'm in Eustis/Sorrento.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:31 PM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6
Another Floridian too...Eustis/Umatilla. Welcome!
CHATHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,215
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Umatilla?? or Eustis>
I'm on Center St behind Autozone and Big Orange Tire!

Do I already know you???
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6
I don't think so, new to forum but yeah I know exactly where you are. I'm in Dona Vista. We just bought our bus this weekend.
CHATHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #10
Bus Crazy
 
gbstewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,207
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
welcome to the dance, lots of info here.
gbstewart
__________________
my bus build viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5931
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:55 PM   #11
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,215
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHATHAM View Post
I don't think so, new to forum but yeah I know exactly where you are. I'm in Dona Vista. We just bought our bus this weekend.
Where'd you get your bus?
Post some pics!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #12
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3
Dang! I need to get a bus! I'm in Windermere, and looking for a partially converted bus (since I have know knowledge of electric or plumbing). We should start having meet-ups to talk bus stuff.
SeeCayArr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #13
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 220
Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDSKOOKLIE View Post
my apt complex has a gated lot down the road from me that ive seen people keep boat so hoping theyll let me keep the bus there. if not ill have to find a storage facility where i can park and work on it
I would make sure on this, you dont want to buy your skoolie to only find out you have nowhere to park it. I'd also get in writing that you are allowed to work on the conversion on the apartments property. While the wink-wink is great from the maint. persons, the owner of the complex can come and have your skoolie removed from the complex. if you have permission in writing or find a cheap spot that will allow you to park and work on your skoolie, those would be the best options.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:50 PM   #14
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,215
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeCayArr View Post
Dang! I need to get a bus! I'm in Windermere, and looking for a partially converted bus (since I have know knowledge of electric or plumbing). We should start having meet-ups to talk bus stuff.
Myself and various other forum members have metup a few time out at the property where my bus is stored.
Any time you wanna hang out... PM me for my number or email.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:00 PM   #15
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuleslight View Post
I would make sure on this, you dont want to buy your skoolie to only find out you have nowhere to park it. I'd also get in writing that you are allowed to work on the conversion on the apartments property. While the wink-wink is great from the maint. persons, the owner of the complex can come and have your skoolie removed from the complex. if you have permission in writing or find a cheap spot that will allow you to park and work on your skoolie, those would be the best options.
Just talked to them yesterday, asked them specifically for a school bus. They said i can keep anything there as long as its not stolen. There are boats and car trailers in the lot also so i should be alright but ill definitely be getting it all in writing. DOES $100 A MONTH SOUND REASONABLE I HAVENT QUOTED ANY STORAGE FACILITIES YET.
OLDSKOOKLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #16
Bus Nut
 
skoolie_n00bie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 447
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDSKOOKLIE View Post
Just talked to them yesterday, asked them specifically for a school bus. They said i can keep anything there as long as its not stolen. There are boats and car trailers in the lot also so i should be alright but ill definitely be getting it all in writing. DOES $100 A MONTH SOUND REASONABLE I HAVENT QUOTED ANY STORAGE FACILITIES YET.
I wish i could have stored our skoolie down the street in a community gated parking for $100/mo! that, in my area is a great price!
Hopefully, won't need the storage any longer, after we get our title today! YES!
BTW, another floridian, here! P.Pines/Ft. Lauderdale!

I can say from personal experience that if you can work constantly on the bus, you can probably get it done for "livable condition". after all, i probably put a total of a full month (if that!) worth of work, and i'm pretty close at being done...this all in a 2yr span, though!
As you'll see in other threads, and as others have pointed out, some (if not most) of these conversions take years.
Buckle your chin-strap, shoulders down, dive in!

Welcome to the madness!
__________________
n00b build > https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/th...ily-10122.html
Not my fault if anything I post results in someone losing a finger...
Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #17
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 13,077
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolie_n00bie View Post
I wish i could have stored our skoolie down the street in a community gated parking for $100/mo! that, in my area is a great price!
Hopefully, won't need the storage any longer, after we get our title today! YES!
BTW, another floridian, here! P.Pines/Ft. Lauderdale!

I can say from personal experience that if you can work constantly on the bus, you can probably get it done for "livable condition". after all, i probably put a total of a full month (if that!) worth of work, and i'm pretty close at being done...this all in a 2yr span, though!
As you'll see in other threads, and as others have pointed out, some (if not most) of these conversions take years.
Buckle your chin-strap, shoulders down, dive in!

Welcome to the madness!
I think $100 / month is a fair price... I got lucky and found a guy with a business building food trucks that bought a HUGE old factory and is renting spaces at $125 / month for Indoor storage here in Ohio.. so good deals do exist.. but anyplace you can store that is gated is good, esp since its tougher to secure a school bus.. and keeps the run-around kids from playing in your bus..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #18
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 220
Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDSKOOKLIE View Post
Just talked to them yesterday, asked them specifically for a school bus. They said i can keep anything there as long as its not stolen. There are boats and car trailers in the lot also so i should be alright but ill definitely be getting it all in writing. DOES $100 A MONTH SOUND REASONABLE I HAVENT QUOTED ANY STORAGE FACILITIES YET.
Thats what i am paying in chicago, and that was the cheapest i could find.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×