Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2020, 07:48 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
It seems this is a high ceiling bus, if you are going to raise the roof anyhow you might consider selling this one and get a "cheaper" low ceiling bus. Some people would pay premium for a high ceiling and not raise the roof.
We used a slf bus and did not need to raise the ceiling since it was already 8ft.

Johan

joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Self
Engine: 7.3 L powerstroke diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
It seems this is a high ceiling bus, if you are going to raise the roof anyhow you might consider selling this one and get a "cheaper" low ceiling bus. Some people would pay premium for a high ceiling and not raise the roof.
We used a slf bus and did not need to raise the ceiling since it was already 8ft.

Johan
Thanks for your suggestions but with my partner being 6 feet tall and myself 5'6", the 6 ft tall ceilings is just not enough. So we are raising it by a foot. Unless there are some 5' tall people out there looking for a bus, I don't think anyone else would be okay with 6' ceilings. Especially since it is only that tall in the middle of the bus and nowhere else.
Kerboo_n_wilnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerboo_n_wilnil View Post
Thanks for your suggestions but with my partner being 6 feet tall and myself 5'6", the 6 ft tall ceilings is just not enough. So we are raising it by a foot. Unless there are some 5' tall people out there looking for a bus, I don't think anyone else would be okay with 6' ceilings. Especially since it is only that tall in the middle of the bus and nowhere else.
6' is the low headroom model.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
6' is the low headroom model.
Yeah that's what I thought. Haha
Old 02-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Any advice for getting the rubber tread off of the steps? It doesn't want to budge for me.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Any advice for getting the rubber tread off of the steps? It doesn't want to budge for me.
I have a chisel and a scraper for that kinda stuff.
Also a heat gun. But heat is the last resort.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #27
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: C1FE 2509
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9L 24V ~ AT545
Rated Cap: Seats 5. Sleeps 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by grezm0nkey View Post
greenhorn here poking around forum explore gathering in here. i love your bus. love that your bus isnt a total shorty and not a 40er. im curious if you made any and all of the measurements inside out on that bus yet? i would have a better idea of the working space and find something that fits what i need. really great bus, love it. cant wait to see it unfold. best wishes, i will be watching

grez
Hey grezm0nkey, don't know if it helps but we have a 27' flat nose Blue Bird. The interior usable space is about 160Sqft. 8ft wide by 20 feet long. About 5ft in the front for the driver and engine.
For us, that was enough floorspace for 3 beds, full bathroom, full kitchen, passenger area and a rear mudroom with a washer and dryer. You can squeeze a lot out of the smaller buses.
Bluthebus00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:04 AM   #28
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I have a chisel and a scraper for that kinda stuff.
Also a heat gun. But heat is the last resort.
I second that. Once you get a good bit of it up in a solid piece, you can hopefully peel the entire strip up. That said, take that with a grain of salt because all buses are different but that's what worked for me. Was able to get through it one night and a couple hours the following morning.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:06 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluthebus00 View Post
Hey grezm0nkey, don't know if it helps but we have a 27' flat nose Blue Bird. The interior usable space is about 160Sqft. 8ft wide by 20 feet long. About 5ft in the front for the driver and engine.
For us, that was enough floorspace for 3 beds, full bathroom, full kitchen, passenger area and a rear mudroom with a washer and dryer. You can squeeze a lot out of the smaller buses.
Wow. That's for that info. You've got a little more sq. Footage than we have but that great to know that you fit so much. Do you have pictures of the layout you could share? I'd love to see.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #30
Almost There

Quote:
Wow. That's for that info. You've got a little more sq. Footage than we have but that great to know that you fit so much. Do you have pictures of the layout you could share? I'd love to see.
Absolutely! Here's a link to a thread where I posted a bunch of semi-recent pics!
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/u...tml#post372471

I've also attach some Sketchup to-scale renderings of the bus!

The only thing we're changing is removing the murphy bunks and replacing them with permanent built-in bunks instead. We came to this conclusion last night lol
Attached Thumbnails
DriverSide.jpg   PassengerSide.jpg  
Old 02-10-2020, 12:10 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Hi friends, I've got an update and questions. We have finished grinding all exposed rust on the bus floor. We are still working on getting those PITA seat tracks out but we found a method that works, just takes a while. Once we remove those we need repair the spots in the floor that were rusted through. But I guess we should clean the floor with something like Keud Kutter then treat with the rust reformer then Rustoleum rusty metal primer all before patching and filling holes? We have heard of people using fiberglass to patch those. Also the option to use sheet metal and weld that in place. We aren't really sure how we should go about this. Least expensive and quickest but also structurally sound method is preferred.

As far as the bolt holes go we were going to use Steelstick.

I have attached pictures of the rusted through spots.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:20 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Hi friends, I've got an update and questions. We have finished grinding all exposed rust on the bus floor. We are still working on getting those PITA seat tracks out but we found a method that works, just takes a while. Once we remove those we need repair the spots in the floor that were rusted through. But I guess we should clean the floor with something like Keud Kutter then treat with the rust reformer then Rustoleum rusty metal primer all before patching and filling holes? We have heard of people using fiberglass to patch those. Also the option to use sheet metal and weld that in place. We aren't really sure how we should go about this. Least expensive and quickest but also structurally sound method is preferred.

As far as the bolt holes go we were going to use Steelstick.

I have attached pictures of the rusted through spots.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
20200204_115501.jpg   20200204_115516.jpg   20200204_115507.jpg  
Old 02-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I'm patching my floor holes with the sheet metal I pulled down from the ceiling.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I wouldn't use Steelstick for the bolt holes. I used it to fill holes in the side frames of my windows, but it tended to not adhere to the material around the hole. It only worked for my holes because I was able to access both sides and form the Steelstick into a sort of rivet before it hardened. Other people have reported trying to use it for floor holes and having it pop out easily.

Your rusted-through holes are not too bad. If you have a welder and know how to weld (or at least think you do, like me) those holes are a quick fix. If not, the easiest thing is probably to square off the holes, making sure you cut to solid metal; then cut a sheet metal patch about 1" larger all around than the hole, place it over the hole and attach with self-tapping screws.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I'm patching my floor holes with the sheet metal I pulled down from the ceiling.
Oh good idea. How are you fastening and sealing it?
Old 02-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Hey friends, so we need to replace our batteries. I am seeing on other threads that some people use the 8D battery while others the 31T. When searching under my vehicle on Advanced auto they recommend only the 31T. Does that sound right?
Old 02-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I'd go group31 for sure. The T444E sucks some juice when the glow system is running but not more than a pair of them can handle.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:33 AM   #38
Bus Geek

two group 31's is what I'd choose. Easier to carry, easier to get in and out of the battery tray.
Also they're a bit more affordable. I just got a pair of them new for $79 each.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Okay got new batteries installed. Tried to start bus and it does nothing. Doesn't try to turn over. I'm going to post a video of what it is doing. Seems like there's an electrical disconnect
Old 02-26-2020, 10:51 AM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

So I had tried to share the video of our attempt at starting the bus but apparently I can't upload videos here. But we got a mechanic to do a service call and turns out there's a safety feature that won't allow the bus to start if the switch for the emergency doors isn't activated. and I had been unscrewing a bunch of thing, including where the door latches. We sure are grateful that it wasn't something more serious. Lessons learned!

Tags
#roofraise