Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2021, 09:36 AM   #1

Help!! Bus info

Hello I am going to an auction on Friday and need advice on a bus. I’m looking at a 2003 International 7.3 T44E turbo diesel 72 passenger bus, 170947 mi. I know it has rust issues as we live in the northeast but I am not sure how much is too much for this school bus. It’s fresh from the school yard. Seats in it no conversion at all. What is a good price for this?

Ghon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Rust issues are difficult to fully diagnose when seats and flooring are still installed.
If you can inspect from underneath, a thorough inspection of the floor and supporting structural steel is about your only way to inspect the bus as it sits on the lot.

In my opinion, for all it's worth, you'd do better to look at busses away from the nation's rust belt.

Good luck, and post pics of it if you can. That might get you better advice on what you're looking at...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Unless you have pictures showing very little rust, it has too much rust. And even then it probably has too much rust, since the worst things that happen to a bus corrosion-wise aren't really visible until you get the floors up. At which point you will likely see something like this (bus brought to you by Lake Erie snow).
Old 03-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #4

I’m trying to upload a photo. So this bus has been rolling through Indiana snow salt for 15 years and rust it def an issue but do you guys think if I get a good deal it’s ok. Our plan is to convert this bus, the floors will be replaced anyways.
Attached Thumbnails
225E0661-2D5D-4DF6-9D75-8C53F2B98014.jpg  
Ghon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:16 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghon View Post
I’m trying to upload a photo. So this bus has been rolling through Indiana snow salt for 15 years and rust it def an issue but do you guys think if I get a good deal it’s ok. Our plan is to convert this bus, the floors will be replaced anyways.
When we say floor, we don't mean the wood and puke mat. The floor of the bus is sheet metal and will be like swiss cheese with rusted holes through it. A rust bucket from there I wouldn't pay over $2500.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I have a very similar bus as you. It had absolutely no rust issues and I paid $2,300.

I agree, stay away from rust!

Just because you go to an auction doesn't mean you have to buy. It's a good opportunity to research so maybe you can spot a good one to bid on.

Best of luck.