Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Question Help me find my own in a million, please!

Help me find my own in a million, please!

Its a tall order! what I’m mostly looking for is anyone else who looked for the same things in their bus build that I am looking for now and, roughly, found it

Here are some musts for me…
It can’t be super long, 30' and over is too big for me.
I need to have a high roof, over 6’2”.
MPG can’t be below 6-8mpg… I really hope it wouldn’t be anyway!
Want it to be very safe, structurally!
Also, reliable! I am learning about cars and engines, breakdowns on the side of the road all the time? Lots of problems? Nah huh, besides the convenience thing. I don’t know how to handle lots of car problems (working on learning more about it though!).

I know that MPG is never going to be great, no matter what! But 5 or 7 MPG is the kind of thing I really want to avoid! Thats why I was looking at buses that could roughly get 9-12 mpg, anything above that would be amazing!

I want something thats safe. I was leaning towards Shuttles for awhile because of better MPG, but then I heard people talking about fiberglass frames and the bus is not going to hold up as great in a crash compared to the structural integrity of a school bus (is this true?).

Give me your stories! Your thoughts and opinions, your research!
Thank you for your time!

Dailybee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
I plan on scouting a few buses for another buyer tomorrow and a couple of the ones available are high roof, not sure which ones (they have varying sizes). I can take a few pics of anything suitable while I'm there if you like. Can also possibly help with transporting once the deal is done.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:04 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Look for a 5-8 window fullsize chassis shorty. I get 10+ mpg from mine. But I mostly credit the gearing. It DOESN'T have school bus gearing. I got it with a 3.27 rear end.
YOu may find that if you find a REAL nice bus you may also want to get it geared for the new job its going to be doing. Instead of stop and go picking up kids its now going to be asked to be a motorhome, so gear it for the highway and you'll get better mpg than running down the highway with skoolie gears.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:30 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Look for a 5-8 window fullsize chassis shorty. I get 10+ mpg from mine. But I mostly credit the gearing. It DOESN'T have school bus gearing. I got it with a 3.27 rear end.
YOu may find that if you find a REAL nice bus you may also want to get it geared for the new job its going to be doing. Instead of stop and go picking up kids its now going to be asked to be a motorhome, so gear it for the highway and you'll get better mpg than running down the highway with skoolie gears.
This!
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:11 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Ive never heard of changing gearing, what does that entail?
Dailybee23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice wanted, expertise, newbie