Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2021, 06:40 PM   #1

Help! No cluster lights or gauges

I need help trouble shooting my bus. Won’t even turn over now
Charged battery’s, Turned key and used ether to start
High rev for 5 seconds(foot not on peddle) came down to idle for 10-15 Sec. then shut off. Did not bog/putt it just cut off
Now I’m not getting the wait to start lights for plugs or any of my lights on cluster or gauges. Getting a click from what looks like a silinoid inside fuse panel. Could this be it? I have lights, wipers, turn signals, buzzers for doors. Nothing on dash.
I have a 03’ international T444E 53 person cap.
New to diesels. Please give me your knowledge wise ones
Picture shows fuse panel. Half round circle thing with white label is where the click is coming from when I turn the key to accessory and when I turn key all the way like I would to try and start
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

NapsInt03’T444Ebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:20 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Hi Naps...sorry that your first foray into the forum is under crummy circumstances. Once this is sorted out, we look forward to pics and more of your skoolie story.

In the mean time, it seems like I (we) am missing a bit of background detail here. Can you clarify the history a bit? Like...when did it last run? Was it running fine then? What changes did you make...what wiring did you remove...what interior work did you do...since it last ran? Do you always use ether to start it? I'm guessing the brief high rev running you had was the ether. Do you have a voltage probe or multimeter...and know how to use one? If not, get a Power Probe or one of the clones...it's worth it's weight in carbon offset credits!
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:31 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Using ether or starting fluid in a 7.3 or T444 is a really bad idea, since these engines use glow plugs and this can lead to a backfire (or something equally bad).
If I remember correctly, the ECM gets power directly from the batteries on many buses, so my first suggestion is to check there for any problems with the wires/fuses. Also check the wires to the key-switch, just in case.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Hi Naps...sorry that your first foray into the forum is under crummy circumstances. Once this is sorted out, we look forward to pics and more of your skoolie story.

In the mean time, it seems like I (we) am missing a bit of background detail here. Can you clarify the history a bit? Like...when did it last run? Was it running fine then? What changes did you make...what wiring did you remove...what interior work did you do...since it last ran? Do you always use ether to start it? I'm guessing the brief high rev running you had was the ether. Do you have a voltage probe or multimeter...and know how to use one? If not, get a Power Probe or one of the clones...it's worth it's weight in carbon offset credits!
A year ago give or take a month was the last time it was started. And before that every few months. It has been parked for two years now I bought it drove it across WA over 4 passes and she was pulling great and the rest is history.(I just recently got the time to really start working on it) She was running just fine last time i started and let idle for 30 minutes and shut it down. Left state for a bit. The seats are out and I’ve pulled the back heater unit and put a two 90 fitting to cycle the fluid. I haven’t touched a thing electrically short of pulling the battery’s.
The guy I bought it from used ether(2yrs ago) and I used it once on it a week ago when this all happend. I do have a multimeter and I’ve been learning with it. I know how to test and read DCV on the meter hahaha that’s it.
Really appreciate the response, cheers
Old 01-21-2021, 09:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Using ether or starting fluid in a 7.3 or T444 is a really bad idea, since these engines use glow plugs and this can lead to a backfire (or something equally bad).
If I remember correctly, the ECM gets power directly from the batteries on many buses, so my first suggestion is to check there for any problems with the wires/fuses. Also check the wires to the key-switch, just in case.
I don’t think it back fired. But if it did would that kill my power on the cluster, and shut the bus down? Also when checking the ecm wires, am I looking at them from the battery’s? Like testing current? Or checking the wires at the emc it’s self? I just looked up what and emc is. It is an aluminum box with chips, sensors in it?
A lot of questions I know sorry.
Also read up on it and just figured out I’ve checked the emc fuse at the battery. (Didn’t know what it went to at the time) but the 40amp five was fine.
I have no clue where the emc would be located on my bus. Thanks guys
Old 01-21-2021, 09:52 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
A backfire probably wouldn't kill the power to your cluster, but it could do unknown damage to the engine. You may want to investigate your glow plug circuit. There is a relay for them that can fail with age (somewhat common). I have a T444e engine and the ECM is usually on the engine itself.
So your fuse is good, check the connection and wire itself (at the battery), make sure it's clean, tight, no corrosion, and basically that it's getting power. (I'm suspecting there might be a bad connection around the battery.)

Next step is to check the key-switch itself, make sure it's getting power, as well as transmitting power.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote