Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #81
Skoolie

as to an engine swap,..... unless you really need a lot more power I'd stick with a 350 just like what it has.

And FYI a diesel can run on all cylinders just fine with a glow plug snapped off in the head.

Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:32 PM   #82
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
that glove box door has the model number, vin, weight, etc. I would leave it.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:10 PM   #83
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: GMC 5500 V-Eight
Rated Cap: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
as to an engine swap,..... unless you really need a lot more power I'd stick with a 350 just like what it has.

And FYI a diesel can run on all cylinders just fine with a glow plug snapped off in the head.
lol, well that is something I didn't know. It changes nothing though. I won't ever own another diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
that glove box door has the model number, vin, weight, etc. I would leave it.
It's the back of the box and it has to come out because the whole panel is coming out. The VIN isn't on it, or at least not visible and the only numbers that are, don't match any that I have found and I think the only number I'm still looking for is the chassis.
THCrinstam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:18 PM   #84
Mini-Skoolie

You know how people like to say, "like attracts like"?

I was just offered a bus just a few years newer than ours. Same engine and tranny. 500.00 for the whole thing, same as I paid for this one. lol

Not sure if if the body is the same or what condition it's in, but I have spare parts now!
Old 11-14-2020, 11:51 AM   #85
Mini-Skoolie

I'm going to guess that if I said I'm pretty sure either the head gasket is shot or the head cracked, a bunch of you could guess what I discovered on taking out the sparkplugs... besides they're really old lol
Old 11-14-2020, 04:14 PM   #86
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Full of water? Might not be a gasket if it's sat for a while with the carb uncovered, water could have gotten in there and filled the cylinder that way.

Regardless, if you're planning on using this engine, it sounds like this needs rebuilt if it sat that long anyways.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #87
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
That engine needs to come out. Either rebuild it or replace it. Is the engine in the other bus any good? Or at least a good core to rebuild?
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:54 PM   #88
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Full of water? Might not be a gasket if it's sat for a while with the carb uncovered, water could have gotten in there and filled the cylinder that way.

Regardless, if you're planning on using this engine, it sounds like this needs rebuilt if it sat that long anyways.
No, the engine was mostly covered so I don't think it came in that way. Also, it wasn't a little bit of wet... the damn thing pissed full stream for a minute or so lol

It's not a big deal, it was just pure stubbornness that made me want to get it running anyway. It was coming out regardless.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #89
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
That engine needs to come out. Either rebuild it or replace it. Is the engine in the other bus any good? Or at least a good core to rebuild?
Not sure of anything about the other bus yet, except it's history. Which was that it's been owned by the same person who bought it 40 years ago from a church group that used it only on sundays for sunday school. All the paperwork is available for it. It hasn't ran for 10 years or so either, but unlike this first one this isn't from an ad of someone trying to get rid of it, it's someone I know who has it sitting up on pads and blocks and has been using it for summer 'camping', who offered it to me after seeing this one.

The one thing that he said is worse than this bus is that the roof has a dent in it from where he pulled up under a branch one time.