Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2021, 01:40 AM   #1

Hey everyone! Great to be here! An introduction...

My name is Clint, although I go by several different names in my profession as author/actor/film maker. I want to live off the grid and began searching for an RV. I figure it's great for my job as I already work wherever I am and think that getting in touch with nature (state parks are great for it) will enhance my writing. Currently living in an apartment, I am subjected to all kinds of nonsense like doors slamming in the hall and so on. All my state park experiences have been positive and feel that's the way I need to go.
I have plans to get a house eventually but not sure when, if ever, that will happen.
So I searched online and found this site. I am super stoked to get this show on the road. I look at the big time RVs and they just aren't my bag for some reason. I figured, why no do a DIY project with a custom place off the grid?

Can't wait.

OffGrid999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:12 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Welcome, and I hear you!

Some advice, coming from someone who has completed a 38' RE conversion:

Depending on several factors a bus conversion can be a good solution to your problems, however keep in mind you will be spending lots of time (in addition to money) in research all around, finding a good platform to convert, figuring out where to park the thing while you work on it, and designing everything. It is a series of logistical hurdles.

Our first big project for the bus happened weeks before it arrived- finding someone to pave a new section of driveway at our home for the bus to live while it was being worked on. We could have easily run afowl of nutty zoning ordinances or had HOA tyrants breathing down our necks even with our own home... apartment complexes may not let you park any trailer, bus or RV in their lots period- let alone while working on them!

The benefit of a trailer/RV is you find a good rig, fork over your money and you have all the basics. If you really wanted to do the bus route and couldn't figure out how to do it at your current location, you could get a really simple small trailer, relocate somewhere you can do the conversion, later sell or even tow the trailer with the conversion bus.

I've been thinking about starting a business helping people with conversions.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote