Old 03-13-2020, 11:47 AM   #1

Hey from Philly/NJ!!

Hey everyone!

New to the forum! Currently living in Philly but planning on moving to Jersey once I find the bus I'm looking for. Already have a place to park it while converting and to live in full time (going to put it on my friends farm and live out in nature), but the acquisition of the bus has been a long road. Trying not to rush in order to find a bus I feel good about.

I'm excited to dig in, and I feel pretty clueless about most of it. I've been doing a lot of reading, but reading and doing are VERY different things. Gonna learn as I go and hope to not muck it up too much!

Looking for a short bus that's mechanically sound with minimal rust. Would love internal length to be about 14-20 ft (from back of drivers seat to back door). Wheelchair lift would be nice, but not necessary. My budget is $2,000-$3,500. If ya'll know of anything, post below!

Thanks!
omasika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Welcome to the forum. I'm also from Philly, but we're a pretty rare breed in this area (there are a few others from around here, but I haven't met anybody in person). I'm happy to help out with some welding, riveting or sheet metal work, or to give advice while watching somebody do the nasty stuff.

You should probably be looking far away for your bus on the auction sites - Pennsylvania is a salt state and the buses are almost always badly rusted (I've never seen one that isn't but I hear they might exist). Get ready to buy a bus from the west coast or Colorado or wherever, and fly to pick it up (an experience I missed out on since I had my rusted eBay bus delivered to me.

You will want to visit Joseph Fazzio Inc. in Glassboro NJ. Lots of good stuff but mainly an enormous warehouse of scrap steel that you can use to build or repair stuff on your bus, all for $0.50 a pound.

If you go to User CP in the upper left corner, you can fill out your profile details like where you live and what kind bus you (will) have. That way people always know your info and can tailor their advice to you.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Actually, flying to the west coast is probably not the best idea right now. This is an unprecedented circumstance that might make buying a rusty local bus a necessity. I was only a year off from being Nostradamus.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:33 PM   #4

Heyyyy!

Thanks for the tips and would love the help! I was considering going west, but have been looking more at VA/WV/SC given the state of things.

How long you been living the skoolie life? What’s it like parking/driving in Philly?!
Old 03-14-2020, 12:57 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasika View Post
How long you been living the skoolie life? What’s it like parking/driving in Philly?!
Well, I can say you should avoid Port Richmond at all costs. That's where I originally had my bus parked, and it got robbed three times. Now I've got it at a lot in Aston, which is only a few minutes from where I live.

I'm not really "living the skoolie life" yet, unfortunately. Bought the bus more than a year ago but repairing the rust and rebuilding major parts of the floor has taken a long time. I'm hoping to have it livable by this summer, although I have not yet lined up a place around here to live in it permanently. I have a few potential things, but nothing definite yet.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #6

“Avoid port richmond”.. true statements.

Good luck with your build and finding forever home!

Tags
#newjersey, #nj, #philadelphia, #philly, #shortie