Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2020, 01:26 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

hey from portland oregon

Well its finally happening. My girlfriend, two kids, and I bought a bus a couple of months ago and have hit it hard getting it to a place to start building hoping to be living in at the end of summer. Its a 1991 Bluebird TC2000 with a Cummings 5.9 and a Allison transmission(not sure what model as I write this) with about 180,000 miles. I defiantly underestimated the amount of time getting everything cleaned up and general labor getting into the building phase which started a couple of weeks ago. I come from a small amount of construction experience like smaller remodel projects so I'm familiar enough to feel confident in my skills with the help of all of you and YouTube. As the bus stands it is in great running condition, ripped out all the seats, heaters, and floors. grinned and treated the floors, resealed the windows, new insulation throughout. We've decided to keep the ceiling as is and tie in the existing lights to our new power source. Had a really fun work party with about 5 people and knocked out the new subfloor and just finished putting new plywood on the walls under the windows today. A bit slow on ordering tanks and trying to wrap my head around electrical by the time all the studs for the walls are built but theres plenty of stuff to keep busy. Is there anyone in the portland area who I should look at for advice with electrical? I can run wires and do plugs and switches, just never installed breaker boxes or tied in before. Hoping to have power running from a house or rv park and eventually installing solar. Thanks again for all the help with random projects that I needed to look up or just the best way to do something. I love how many different ways there is to each project and look forward to uploading pictures and showing the progress.

You can see more progress pics on instagram @ thewhateverbus
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200604_200043.jpg   IMG_20200623_172159.jpg  

whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom 40'
Engine: DDECII 6V92T Allison MT647
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs of potential
Hi, welcome to the group. You've made a lot of progress.
I am an electrician, but I'm 20 minutes from the wrong Portland.
I hope somebody in your neighborhood chimes in soon.
Phantom5824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:53 AM   #3

Just bought a short bus in Portland,OR lemme know if u know anyone i can pay to do a very basic conversion thx!!-
SpaceWaster503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:40 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: Bluebird 24'
Engine: 6.2 GMC Diesel
Rated Cap: 10,000
Same here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceWaster503 View Post
Just bought a short bus in Portland,OR lemme know if u know anyone i can pay to do a very basic conversion thx!!-
Let me know if you found someone. I'm doing my own, but could use a local consultant!

Bruce in Beavertonia...
mymincave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:41 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Hey mymincave, hows the build going? I've neared completion but delayed the inevitable electrical part. Were you able to find anyone?
Old 04-01-2021, 01:20 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: Bluebird 24'
Engine: 6.2 GMC Diesel
Rated Cap: 10,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
Hey mymincave, hows the build going? I've neared completion but delayed the inevitable electrical part. Were you able to find anyone?
Yes. Jesse at @skooliepnw on Instagram is a local pro builder. Good work and reasonable rates...
mymincave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:18 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks! I also checked out your instagram and followed you. Good luck on the build!