Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 10:28 PM   #1
Scared to Post

Hey guys, I have a question.

Hello everybody, I have recently discovered this forum and am currently reading up on build threads to get some ideas. I was initially planning on converting a van and now I'm leaning more towards a short bus for some more space. I'm located in NY and I'm trying to find a good bus to suit my needs and also make sure it's a good choice in terms of reliability and maintenance. Any tips you may have on getting a short bus around Long Island would be much appreciated. Currently, I'm looking at THIS bus from Don Brown's who I see this forum doesn't seem to like too much. I'm looking for something to live in while I travel the United States and also to continue owning and possibly living in when I return.

tjheinzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:00 AM   #2

Year: 1987
Chassis: S1800
Engine: DT466
Hi,
Oddly enough i just watched this and he bought his bus from Don Brown....
give it a look.

Good luck on your decision.
littlesolidkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:16 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
it isnt that the forum totally Dislikes Bus dealers, its that there are many options to buy a bus.. i have one of each, a dealer bus and a non dealer bus.. that looks like a pretty nice rig at a decent price you are looking at.. and of course JUST like any dealer.. you CAN dicker and haggle on the price..

it is a Gas motor instead of Diesel so it may drink quite a bit of fuel compared to a diesel.. I dont know alot about the fiberglass style shuttles.. I know some have found challenges in converting them vs school busses.. but it has and is being done!

whgat ultimately matters is that buying your bus is a positive experience for you and fits what you need / want..
if it comes from a dealer or an auction or an individual... you can often save some $$ at auctions over dealer pricing. DOn Brown prices their busses more aggressively than some of the other dealers out there.. and they look to have decent units.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Go with what you know but if you don't know go diesel!