Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2015, 06:43 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hey There!

Hey everyone!

I came to this site after looking around for ideas for a modified school bus. I currently have a Travel Trailer, but the thought of having my own custom Motor Home made out of a school bus is just awesome. I love diy projects!

I live in Long Island, New York and I'm just starting to gather information and ideas for my very own skoolie. I look forward to sharing my progress with you all.

djexentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:59 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome.

I look forward to helping along, and enjoying your pics.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you Nat. I do have a question regarding engines. Are there any that should be avoided? I'm pretty handy but I don't want to get something that ends up being a nightmare to fix up.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Avoid all gas engines, Cat engines, and any diesel that is not a inline 6. So no V8 diesels.

Best engines are the DT360, DT466, DT530, The 5.9 Cummins, and the 8.3 Cummins.

I hate electronically controlled engines, so that means anything newer than 97 is no good.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:03 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for the advice. The lower price of newer year buses was tainting me, but i'll be sure to get info and watch out for newer models and get exact engine information..
Old 09-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
I would stay away from gas engines, there's nothing wrong with the 7.3 power stroke, (t444e) they are not a power house, there lot's around and parts are cheap and easy to work on. electronics are not bad till about 2005-6 then it gets a bit more crazy with pollution controls. I like the ideal computer control its not hard to trouble shoot any of the systems, also as a plus you can get cruise control ( a must have for me anyway)
the thing is make sure that the bus you get was well maintained, it will save you in the long run, you can find issues with any diesel engine.
gbstewart
Old 09-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
I would stay away from gas engines, there's nothing wrong with the 7.3 power stroke, (t444e) they are not a power house, there lot's around and parts are cheap and easy to work on. electronics are not bad till about 2005-6 then it gets a bit more crazy with pollution controls. I like the ideal computer control its not hard to trouble shoot any of the systems, also as a plus you can get cruise control ( a must have for me anyway)
the thing is make sure that the bus you get was well maintained, it will save you in the long run, you can find issues with any diesel engine.
gbstewart
Thanks GB. Was looking at your build and had a few questions. How did you apply your paint, and how did you cut your separating walls (particularly the curves from the roof)?
Old 09-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
I used mostly a roller with rust paint, its not the best, but it works for now. as for the curves I used a cardboard template and a jig saw.
gbstewart