Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #1

HGTV casting new bus conversion show

HGTV is currently casting a bus conversion show.

This new series will spotlight outgoing families, couples and singles with sidekicks looking to BUS-T out from “traditional” home design and steer toward life as a skoolie.

Filming begins summer of 2016.

Feel free to message whayes for more information.

Thanks, in advance, for your consideration!!!

whayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Except for those of us building bug out buses, you're more likely to be featured in a show about doomsday preppers!
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
School Bus Conversion Show Now Casting | Be On HGTV | HGTV

This is for people who haven't built a bus yet but want to use their budget to pay a HGTV builder to do it on the show for them. Not looking for already converted buses it seems. Maybe someone on here would be interested. But isn't summer 2016 almost over?
Old 09-06-2016, 08:07 PM   #4

Skoolie show, teacher living on a school bus

Hi!
So, I am selling my house, closing is in 3 weeks. My hope is to get a bus, convert it into my home, and be a teacher living on a school bus. I have experience as a home owner having bought the house I am currently selling; it was foreclosed when I bought it and so did much of the work myself, or oversaw it as it was done. The market picked up, and I'm getting a chunk of money when I sell, and really want to live on a bus. I love many ideas from bus conversions I have seen, and a while back was researching tiny homes, but discovered skoolies in the process. Now my hurdles are
a) buying said bus after the closing of my house
b) converting said bus to be livable in Maine (in winter, so I need to find a place I can plug into septic and have a well)
and c)
Finding a place to put said bus over this winter, possibly finding a piece of land that will work.

Just thought I'd share if this is still being filmed, #teacherlivingona #skoolie

-Thanks for reading
Alexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by whayes View Post
HGTV is currently casting a bus conversion show.

This new series will spotlight outgoing families, couples and singles with sidekicks looking to BUS-T out from “traditional” home design and steer toward life as a skoolie.

Filming begins summer of 2016.

Feel free to message whayes for more information.

Thanks, in advance, for your consideration!!!
alexamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
The thing is, who would want to pay some outside builder to convert a bus for them? Kind of defeats the purpose, to me. Someone like that should just buy an already-converted bus.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #6

Hi Brad!

That's not my intent at all...I guess I just saw a thread and responded with my plan in which I said I was planning on doing it. Any info you can share with me? I'm new to this forum. My concerns include living on a bus in the winter in Maine, and where to put it with regards to sewage and water in this cold weather. Obviously there are many other things I need to learn and research before I jump in, but any tidbits you have for me that you have learned in your own conversion would be very well received! Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
The thing is, who would want to pay some outside builder to convert a bus for them? Kind of defeats the purpose, to me. Someone like that should just buy an already-converted bus.
alexamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamae View Post
That's not my intent at all...I guess I just saw a thread and responded with my plan in which I said I was planning on doing it. Any info you can share with me? I'm new to this forum. My concerns include living on a bus in the winter in Maine, and where to put it with regards to sewage and water in this cold weather. Obviously there are many other things I need to learn and research before I jump in, but any tidbits you have for me that you have learned in your own conversion would be very well received! Thank you!!
Oh,my reply was not intended to be to you, but to the idea of "paying" a show to help with a conversion.

As it stands right now, my conversion is "on hold" while I am going through a change of employment and (Still) sorting out the title. I am still undecided what my plans are. I am considering (1) Skoolie/Camper conversion (2) Food truck conversion, or (3) party-wagon conversion. And right now I'm leaning toward #2 or #3.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:48 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
We (wifie was curious too) took a few minutes to look at this promotion and decided against it for many reasons. The biggest reason is the in-depth rebuild we're doing. We're not into a rush job, which is what we gathered from reading on that site. In addition, we do not want to hand over the keys and wish them luck in building something for us. I'm a VERY picky and precise builder. When I want something done my way I simply do it myself or seek someone with the knowledge to help me achieve the results I want as I learn by doing it myself with their aid. That way IF anything goes wrong 1 - I only have myself to blame for messing it up and 2 - I understand the problem better to make more effective repairs so the problem is solved permanently.

Just my two cents........

M