Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2021, 07:17 AM   #1

Question Hi all, completely new to all this but have wanted to all my life :)

Hi all! I'm Ryan, I am 23 and really wanting to get a conversion going. I had some questions though and would really appreciate some help, Let me first preface this by saying I am completely new to all things conversion. I'm a PC type of guy and don't even know much about cars at all, let alone busses. I've been browsing and I am ready to make a decision (probably going to purchase from publicsurplus unless anyone has better suggestions) but I don't know if there is any brands I should be searching for, should avoid, certain engines to avoid/look for. I was also curious what kind of mileage I should be looking for, I see 200k a LOT on publicsurplus. I am also 6'5" if you specifically know a bus that wouldnt need to be raised for me, I've been in some city busses that I don't need to, but don't know if thats the case with schoolbusses. If you have any other tips for a noobie I'll gladly listen, just looking for advice on best busses! Thanks! (I have mainly been looking at school busses btw but will definitely take a look at any other type)

busssin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:35 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 8.3L / MD3060R
Rated Cap: 46
6'5" !!!!!

At 6'5" you would struggle with even a high roof bus. Most of them are around 76-77" at the highest point. Maybe look at a coach.

If you plan on learn a lot of new skills then this may be quite the adventure for you. If not, plan on spending a LOT of money. (At least to do it right)
cntryby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:46 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
IIWY, I would soend the next month diligently searching and reading everything you can on this site. You'll likely need to do a roof raise at 6'5". All you questions have answers here. Go to the UseCP and put your location in your profile, it'll help answer your questions.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:54 PM   #4

Yeah I'm thinking in terms of roof I'll pretty much have to do it no matter what. And I plan on doing almost everything I can myself, I'm ready to learn lol
Old 04-25-2021, 06:55 PM   #5

Any ideas on where to start? also forgive me but what is usecp?
Old 04-26-2021, 12:36 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
You might want to look into a box truck/van. They have 7-8ft ceilings typically. Put the doors and windows where you want/need. However, in general, getting a trailer is best, pull it with a van or truck. You need to post the answers to these questions to be fully informed. What MPG does a bus get? how much does and oil change and new tires cost? Radiator replacement? Brake job?

Most importantly, where can you park it to build it, and how much time and cost in total to get one fully motorhome'd?

Please post the answers in this thread, there are here on the site in many places.
Look at Cheese_Wagon, find his name, click it, see what 'threads started by" him and you'll find a lot of answer.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:09 AM   #7
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 8.3L / MD3060R
Rated Cap: 46
account control panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by busssin View Post
Any ideas on where to start? also forgive me but what is usecp?

User CP - user control panel

On the left side of the screen, at the top is the home button, a little ways under that is the link for "user cp", it lets you fill out a little personal info (what you're comfortable sharing) so folks can give you more accurate answers to questions.
cntryby is offline   Reply With Quote