Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2020, 07:34 PM   #1

Year: 2006
Coachwork: International
Rated Cap: Max cap:41; Equip cap:31
Red face Hi All! I’m New! 🚌😊☮️

Hello! I just bought my bus 2 days ago. Her name is Gladys and she is a 2006 International CE200 short bus. I think she’s 25’. I bought her from a private seller that bought her at auction from the Snohomish County School District in western Washington state. I am jumping up and down excited about this project. I have been dreaming about this for a couple years now.

My plans are to turn her into a full time home and traveling work space. I’m a licensed massage therapist, licensed barber and certified reflexologist. I also create some fun things with gourds and wine barrels, as well as paint a little. I am a multi-tasker, to say the least.

I live in south eastern Washington state Where the sun shines and the wind blows. I am an avid paddle boarder and get on the water as often as I can.

I’m really looking forward to delving into some of these message boards but right off the top, 1. why are people tearing up the floors and ceilings of their buses? In all the YouTube University videos I don’t remember anyone explaining this. Also...2. Is there a link for where the best place is to start, besides removing the seats? I tried using a search but that wasn’t helpful. Thank you in advance.

Any and all help, suggestions, encouragement is welcome.

Thank you!
Renae,
Bus owner and driver and possible nut job 🤣 ☮️🚌💛

GourdGoddessRenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by GourdGoddessRenae View Post
My plans are to turn her into a full time home and traveling work space. I’m a licensed massage therapist, licensed barber and certified reflexologist. I also create some fun things with gourds and wine barrels, as well as paint a little. I am a multi-tasker, to say the least.

I live in south eastern Washington state Where the sun shines and the wind blows. I am an avid paddle boarder and get on the water as often as I can.

I’m really looking forward to delving into some of these message boards but right off the top, 1. why are people tearing up the floors and ceilings of their buses? In all the YouTube University videos I don’t remember anyone explaining this. Also...2. Is there a link for where the best place is to start, besides removing the seats? I tried using a search but that wasn’t helpful. Thank you in advance.

Any and all help, suggestions, encouragement is welcome.

Thank you!
Renae,
Bus owner and driver and possible nut job �� ☮️����
Congrats on the bus. Hopefully it doesn't have the VT365 or MaxxForce DT engine. Both are known for issues, especially the VT365.

As far as demolition... Many buses have unseen rot or mold, etc. beneath the rubber floor liner and it is best to address that before it progresses further. Rust is common and rampant in buses from certain parts of the country, and for that reason, it is best to do your research before buying.

Insulation is a good consideration when doing your prep work. Often the factory insulation isn't all that good, nor is it in good shape. Contrary to popular belief, buses can and will leak, and this is another thing that needs to be considered in sounding the ship prior to conversion.

As to upgrading insulation, spray foam is the popular choice for interior, as styrofoam can trap condensation and leaks between the walls and insulation, promoting mold and mildew growth.

Removing seats is usually easy, most have simple bolts securing them to the floor and/or walls. Angle grinder and/or cutting torch does well for this, though I would prefer the angle grinder, you don't want to set your bus on fire before you start converting it. (Many have plywood between the metal and rubber).

Hope that helps you in your start.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:07 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Welcome! Post a few pictures for us, please!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:56 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Youtube university? Sounds like an oxymoron.

Did they mention to bulletproof that engine ASAP?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:32 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Photos!

Yes, photos please!

I'm still in the planning (dreaming) phase and am on the threshold of the shortie build...]

JuntiusVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Congrats on the bus. Hopefully it doesn't have the VT365 or MaxxForce DT engine. Both are known for issues, especially the VT365.

As far as demolition... Many buses have unseen rot or mold, etc. beneath the rubber floor liner and it is best to address that before it progresses further. Rust is common and rampant in buses from certain parts of the country, and for that reason, it is best to do your research before buying.

Insulation is a good consideration when doing your prep work. Often the factory insulation isn't all that good, nor is it in good shape. Contrary to popular belief, buses can and will leak, and this is another thing that needs to be considered in sounding the ship prior to conversion.

As to upgrading insulation, spray foam is the popular choice for interior, as styrofoam can trap condensation and leaks between the walls and insulation, promoting mold and mildew growth.

Removing seats is usually easy, most have simple bolts securing them to the floor and/or walls. Angle grinder and/or cutting torch does well for this, though I would prefer the angle grinder, you don't want to set your bus on fire before you start converting it. (Many have plywood between the metal and rubber).

Hope that helps you in your start.
Thank you! The seats are already out. The bus isn’t that old so I wouldn’t think rust would be an issue? I was hoping to just insulate over the rubber floor and then top w/a flooring product. Do you have a recommendation for plugging the bolt holes? I read that silicone was not a good choice.

Cheerfully plugging along,
Renae ��
Old 06-01-2020, 09:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Youtube university? Sounds like an oxymoron.

Did they mention to bulletproof that engine ASAP?
My bf said this engine didn’t need bullet-proofing. But what is it you think I might need to do to it? I’m open to your expertise. ��
Old 06-01-2020, 09:47 PM   #8
Traveling

Quote:
Thank you! The seats are already out. The bus isn’t that old so I wouldn’t think rust would be an issue? I was hoping to just insulate over the rubber floor and then top w/a flooring product. Do you have a recommendation for plugging the bolt holes? I read that silicone was not a good choice.

Cheerfully plugging along,
Renae ��
Rust can always be an issue depending on where the bus was used. As far starting the build, personally, I plugged the seat holes with clear RTV, laid down R3 styrofoam, screwed 5/8 plywood over top into the floor, then laid carpet padding and carpet over it.

HOWEVER... mine wasn't going to be driven much for at least a few years, and as it turned out, wasn't driven at all before I was forced to part with it. I was using mine as a security shack to house CCTV systems to monitor properties I was charged with overseeing (a story in and of itself, longtime members here will remember this).
Old 06-02-2020, 03:25 AM   #9
Traveling

Quote:
My bf said this engine didn’t need bullet-proofing. But what is it you think I might need to do to it? I’m open to your expertise. ��
I sincerely hope your BF is a knowledgeable and experienced diesel mechanic. The VT365 and the 6.0 PowerJoke both require bulletproofing to be reliable -- reason being that the VT365 is the same sorry POS engine that Ford marketed as the 6.0 PowerStroke, which quickly became known as PowerJoke, among other nicknames. I call them the 6.0hno as well.

MaxxForce engines are common in school buses built after 04-05. They are also to be avoided, due to emissions control system problems. Some were called the MaxxForce DT in an effort to trick people into thinking they were the old DT466. MaxxForce DTs are also to be avoided, for the same reasons.

HOWEVER, I have sources that indicate the DT466E was also used in this chassis. My sources also indicate that the DT466E is to the DT466 (a tried and true engine), what the 7.3 PowerStroke was to the 7.3 IDI.

My sources say that the DT466E is painted blue, while the MaxxForce 7.6 engines are painted black. Hopefully, my sources are correct. I may get to put this to the test tomorrow, as I plan to scout a few buses for another member here (if I can get back to sleep, dammit)
Old 06-02-2020, 05:04 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
I sincerely hope your BF is a knowledgeable and experienced diesel mechanic. The VT365 and the 6.0 PowerJoke both require bulletproofing to be reliable -- reason being that the VT365 is the same sorry POS engine that Ford marketed as the 6.0 PowerStroke, which quickly became known as PowerJoke, among other nicknames. I call them the 6.0hno as well.

MaxxForce engines are common in school buses built after 04-05. They are also to be avoided, due to emissions control system problems. Some were called the MaxxForce DT in an effort to trick people into thinking they were the old DT466. MaxxForce DTs are also to be avoided, for the same reasons.

HOWEVER, I have sources that indicate the DT466E was also used in this chassis. My sources also indicate that the DT466E is to the DT466 (a tried and true engine), what the 7.3 PowerStroke was to the 7.3 IDI.

My sources say that the DT466E is painted blue, while the MaxxForce 7.6 engines are painted black. Hopefully, my sources are correct. I may get to put this to the test tomorrow, as I plan to scout a few buses for another member here (if I can get back to sleep, dammit)
A CE200 is either a VT365 or a maxxforce.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, international, short bus, short skoolie