Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblue240 View Post
It be roughly 20 ft living space. Not sure exactly because I'd have to pull all the firefighting gear out first. Cab is about 10 ft and not sure how much the engine takes.
Its a v-16. Its one of the largest engines ever put into any road-going vehicle.
Looking at the pics I wonder how it would have much space in there.
I wana see ya buy it, believe me. But I think it would probably be my very last choice to build a legitimate camper out of.
If there were one near me for that price I'd buy it. I just have ZERO ideas as to what it would actually be good for other than joyriding to hear that monster 16 cylinder diesel.
You'd probably want a giant on-site fuel storage tank as going to the gas station would be a very expensive and tricky endeavor. Lots of real-world problems with owning a beast like that. Not trying to be a downer or anything. Just giving an honest opinion. FWIW I'm working on a lifted short bus to use as a cruiser, so unconventional means of transport totally appeal to me. Just know that if you do buy this thing you're going to be sort of out there on your own. If you're the kind of guy who can work on stuff like this then hey man I envy you. If you have to pay such a guy you may find this to be a VERY expensive experience.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:17 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
I'm just back at issue 1 though. Need a place I can work on it. Anyone have a yard big enough I could rent some space near Sacramento?
I would give CraigsList a shot. I have seen a number of ads for everything from lots with hookups out in the country to industrial areas that offer "storage" but turn a blind eye to bus projects.

Good luck!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

I just asked the guy how soon I'd have to move it and he said it was sold over the weekend. hopefully we'll see it somewhere on the road.
zblue240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:47 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I just asked the guy how soon I'd have to move it and he said it was sold over the weekend. hopefully we'll see it somewhere on the road.
That engine was worth a lot more than the asking price. I was surprised at how cheap it was.
Sorry, man. I'll post any COOL stuff I come across for ya. I'm sure you'll find something odd to build a one-off camper from.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:25 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3 L Cummins, MD 3060 Trans
Rated Cap: 50
I love that thing!!! What a rockin' machine! 6x6? 16 cylinder diesel? Hell yes!
Old 01-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Wow, street legal in California? That's great. Would have been a great tundra or desert vehicle. Totally impractical for the roadways.
DWJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:05 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 666
I think you'd be better off with an ex-Army truck. The 2.5 and 5 ton CUCV Gen 1's are being retired. They are extremely well built, surplus tires are cheap ($150/ea), Cat engines with off the shelf parts.... There is a whole community of folks out there.

Top end is 60 mph on them, but you can mod them for 70.... They are pretty high up though.. but you could build a truck camper in one without much trouble. I thought about it as a replacement for my Neoplan coach. I also thought about a Skoolie....

This vehicle is neat, but $4500 is just going to be the beginning. You could learn to weld, so the build out isn't that big of a deal. But doing it where it looks good is the harder part for exterior body work. When something mechanical breaks it's going to be thousands...... and hard to find. There just aren't many of these.

I'd advise you to get a set of blue prints for it before going any further. Drawings would work as well, should be readily available. A parts diagram will have the same info. Find out where the bulkheads and framing are at.

I'm doing a teardown on a Motorcoach (Bus that is already an RV) if you want to see what's involved. This one was overbuilt and has lots of crap that needs to come out.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZEef1ONNZbhKHZ

I have loads more space to work with then I would with a skoolie. My Insurance is cheap.... $125/yr for liability, and most campgrounds don't give me grief because I'm rare and it looks okay.

You can find a vintage motorcoach for $5K that is liveable and just needs updating inside..... or you can take it apart like I did and re-do it.
Bus #3- 1985 Auwerter (Neoplan) Cityliner N116/2 Motorhome
See "My garage" in profile for past vehicles and pictures.
My bus blog: https://www.autobus.us
Hotpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:41 PM   #28
Scared to Post

How can it be "street legal" at 10' wide?
MrCSenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:03 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCSenior View Post
Varies by state.

Here in Washington you can buy an annual "oversize " permit and be legal up to 10' wide. There are some restrictions on where and when you can drive oversize.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:01 AM   #30
Almost There

Surplus airport vehicles

One good thing about used airport vehicles is that most rust will be surface rust. It's highly illegal to use salt at an airport due to corrosive problems with some aircraft components. (Landing gear, control surfaces, turbofan engines, etc). Some airports do have shuttle buses to ferry passengers to and from aircraft. Those would be a great find.
capnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCSenior View Post
I thought that too, but if you look at the spec sheet, the 10' width includes the mirrors. The body is probably only 8' wide.