Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #1

Hi All - Newbie here and looking for a little help

Hello _ I am new to Schoolie as I'm sure you can tell. If not now, you soon will be able to. I joined this Forum because after being in the restaurant business for many, many years I thought I was ready to retire. I guess I was wrong. I am bored as heck. With this Pandemic facing us it will be changing the landscape of restaurants and dining for sometime, IMHO.
Therefore, I, like many, have decided that "Food Trucks" are going to be the best option for the next year or three.
After researching my options for my current state Florida, (Pamdemic Hell) I have decided that a School Bus over a food truck would better suit my needs. I came on here to look for advice on types of engines, sizes and anything else my brain can absorb. I realize for a newcomer I am looking at a daunting task as most of you have already been through this process, however I am a former US Marine so I Accept the challenge and look forward to, Improvising, overcoming and adapting. Thanking you in advance for any and all help. And to those of you... Semper Fi.

Skooter3270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: MBE 906 Mercedes Benz Diesel
Welcome.
My suggestion is that you look at "buying a bus" search results on here, as well as doing the same search on Youtube. That will at least familarize you with the most general sizing, model types, sourcing, power train, fuel type, etc data....
From that you can begin to post questions more likely to produce useful information. Some people will be weary of "hey, I want to buy a bus, what do I do now?" type questions.. I spent about a year researching from the "I want to buy a bus" to actually buying one... it was time very well spent.

Good Luck.
Beachvbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply and the advice. I've done quite a bit of research and was ready to move on to "The one's in the know". And yes, the internet is full of those with idea's. But I am ready to light this fire and compare notes that I have just for affirmation. I sincereley appreciate the reply.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Frankly, In my opinion, as long as you don't get a rust bucket, you can get any of them.
Smallest you can handle is my advice.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mention I've had my CDL Class A for over 35 Years. So I can handle larger vehicles. And the rust factor, is that more of a Northern attribute since the Salt on the Roads? I'm originallyfrom NJ and I know what it did to the cars up there.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
welcome.
where were you stationed at? i got out in 96.
i still live and work on all the bases around camp lejeune,new river air station, cherry point and so on.
catch up with east coast cb. is the florida skoolie guru on here and he dont mind helping.
OOHRAH
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:46 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter3270 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I didn't mention I've had my CDL Class A for over 35 Years. So I can handle larger vehicles. And the rust factor, is that more of a Northern attribute since the Salt on the Roads? I'm originallyfrom NJ and I know what it did to the cars up there.
By "handle" I mean only as big as you need. If you can live in 22ft I wouldn't get a 40ft. I just removed the doors from my california bus, and bolts were all rusted, and the first step rusted out too, so anything can be rusted, some areas of the coast are really bad too. There is that low mileage cheap bus up in Washington which looks great, and then I see it is right on the coast up there, my guess is its rusted underneath.

A 5.7 gm is on the small side for a bus, but easy to replace, so it would not stop me. Or the 6.0 ford, can be fixed too. Rust is permanent, but of course it can be patched, cut out, replaced, welded, reinforced, not easy or fun job.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:40 PM   #8

I was at LeJeune. Did ITS at Camp Geiger. I was 0331 Machine gunner and I got out in 86. OohRah..
Old 07-29-2020, 06:44 PM   #9

I'm seeing how it can be a daunting task, but I also see how it makes it fun too. Great way to show some workmanship when a direct reflection of you and your abilities as well as foresight is running up the road. Thanks for the insight.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
welcome.
where were you stationed at? i got out in 96.
i still live and work on all the bases around camp lejeune,new river air station, cherry point and so on.
catch up with east coast cb. is the florida skoolie guru on here and he dont mind helping.
OOHRAH
I was at LeJeune. Did ITS at Camp Geiger. I was 0331 Machine gunner and I got out in 86. OohRah..