Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2021, 10:18 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hi & skoolie vs trailer build

Hi! Ive been reading and this seems like an awesome community : I'm happy to be here.

I found this forum because I have a question that is sort of open ended, like it's not really mechanical or anything. Can anyone here speak on why they chose a skoolie instead of a house on a trailer? Was the culture around skoolies part of the reason? Was it because you wanted to move around more spontaneously? Was it just a budget thing or something else? I've been saving to leave society for a while n have been focused tiny houses on trailers. But I'm starting to get worried for basically 2 reasons.

Firstly, I'm worried that even a small THOW isnt mobile enough... I don't want to just live in the backyard of a different farm every six months that sounds really isolating. I want to move this thing as often as I can afford to and like attend events and stuff. This is sort of something I can figure out on my own though and not the biggest problem.

Secondly and way worse... I thought as I got deeper into my research around THOWs a network or sense of like a community would become apparent but thats hasn't happened. Maybe THOW ppl are just realllly underground bc of the zoning issues but it kind of seems like a lot of professional couples maybe with young children who just want to like be off grid by themselves as a family unit, or maybe in like very small commune of similar people? That's like the opposite of what I want, idk. I guess I was expecting more of a large, loose network where everyone is super different but I can still plug in to share resources and find cool people as I travel around. Like I sort of rave and I guess I was expecting more of that energy. I've definatley seen skoolies around so maybe the culture is closer?

I've done so much research thats specific to tiny houses on trailers, I'm like two months out from a build. The idea of starting over to understand skoolies feels like a lot and the engine stuff is really intimidating but I just have a wierd feeling. I don't really know what I'm looking for exactly. I guess I'm just second guessing myself and hoping for some wisdom. Thanks for reading.

ch1rpy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:16 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Don't let the engine stuff intimidate you...after all, unless you're leaving your THOW in place forever you'll be dealing with an engine anyway! One pro of a THOW is that you can leave it and drive the tow vehicle around. But, for less than the cost of most tow-capable trucks you can get a bus. And that doesn't include the cost of the trailer upon which you'll build your THOW.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:19 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I love the skoolie community, we have gathering around the country, and they are wonderful people.

Why a bus, because I like to travel the Tiny homes are more meant to stay in one place for the most part. By the way Tiny homes are defined as up to 1200 sq ft.So our home does count as a tiny home. But not movable, so the bus is the home away from home.

Our other reason for a bus is durability, and being able to build it the way we want. Have the fun is building it, the other half using it.

You need to follow your heart. Have you been in a skoolie yet? Skooliepalooza is going on either now or shortly in Arizona. RTR is for campers but there are skoolies there too.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:08 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
If you've done your research on THOWs, you will know they are entirely a legal loophole to have a permanent house considered an RV, because they are barely towable if even possible at all as most are built way over the ratings of the axles and weight limits, with granite countertops, solid wood furniture, and heavy roof shingles, etc.
As such, a school bus is a better platform for a THOW that actually moves, as the big ones can handle lots of weight.

The mechanics of a bus should be a concern, they are very expensive to maintain and repair. $500 oil change. $800 radiator. mechanics that have 'special' rates.. ;)

A fifth wheel trailer and a truck is going to be more mobile and less expensive.
I just saw Sven sold his Step Van, and bought a truck and a trailer, and Rolling Vistas sold their school bus and bought a Van...just two popular youtubers. Check out CheapRVLiving channel, bob shows all kinds of options, from a Prius to a Tracter Trailer Rig.

In terms of community, if you want to find friends, you need to first find people, that is easy living in the city, not so much in the desert or on a 40 acre farm in the country.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:13 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Don't let the engine stuff intimidate you...after all, unless you're leaving your THOW in place forever you'll be dealing with an engine anyway! One pro of a THOW is that you can leave it and drive the tow vehicle around. But, for less than the cost of most tow-capable trucks you can get a bus. And that doesn't include the cost of the trailer upon which you'll build your THOW.
yeah it seems like u can get a bus for the cost of a truck OR a trailer. Heavy trucks that can tow a THOW on a trailer are no joke. Having the engine and the living space modular just seems safer, idk. I guess building a shell on the trailer (insulated, with doors and windows but no interior finish or systems installed) would be analogous the roof raise+floor replacement+insulation stage of a bus conversion.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:14 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I love the skoolie community, we have gathering around the country, and they are wonderful people.

Why a bus, because I like to travel the Tiny homes are more meant to stay in one place for the most part. By the way Tiny homes are defined as up to 1200 sq ft.So our home does count as a tiny home. But not movable, so the bus is the home away from home.

Our other reason for a bus is durability, and being able to build it the way we want. Have the fun is building it, the other half using it.

You need to follow your heart. Have you been in a skoolie yet? Skooliepalooza is going on either now or shortly in Arizona. RTR is for campers but there are skoolies there too.
I've hung out in a bus or two but never stayed in one. I happily stayed in a 14' tiny for two weeks tho about two years ago. Also I grew up in tiny NYC apartments my bedroom was also the living room and that was with another person in the apt. My current spot is a 36'x14' bungalow and it feels too big.

Skooliepalooza looks awsomeee.. and wow yeah it's basically right now. I would go in a heartbeat and talk 2 everyone but I don't want to bring some superspreader nyc virus to a peaceful gathering :/ still seriously tempted tho I've also really bean wanting to go to Arizona bc of my industry and also bc I love the desert.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:19 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
If you've done your research on THOWs, you will know they are entirely a legal loophole to have a permanent house considered an RV, because they are barely towable if even possible at all as most are built way over the ratings of the axles and weight limits, with granite countertops, solid wood furniture, and heavy roof shingles, etc.
As such, a school bus is a better platform for a THOW that actually moves, as the big ones can handle lots of weight.
my plans aren't like that. it would be ultralight steel sips including the roof, 20ft+8ft of gooseneck trailer, and shaped to be more aerodynamic, so yeah a lot like a 5th wheel but with extra height for a loft and better insulation (I'm a dual canadian american citizen and I ski so winterization is needed). but even then i felt like the builder was like uuuuuuuuh when i talked about wanting to move it more then every six months n she suggested hiring a moving service and stuff. and idk.. the wheels still just look really small in comparison to the house and towing a trailer just looks way less stable than driving a bus, plus the like unknown wear and tear from road vibration and buffeting on the structure and insulation. Buses are clearly meant to be driven all day every day by a pretty wide variety of people.
Quote:
The mechanics of a bus should be a concern, they are very expensive to maintain and repair. $500 oil change. $800 radiator. mechanics that have 'special' rates.. ;)
My budget as is includes an emergency fund covering maybe $1-$2k every year (and more than that for the first year). But significantly more than that would be a source of stress and would limit my ability to save for whatever my next move would be. I'm mechanically minded and make a living off of my troubleshooting skills but even normal car stuff often requires physical stregth and specialized tools. And at a certain point things just wear out... the idea of dropping thousands of dollars to retrofit something with the lifespan and headaches of a used car still seems questionable.

Getting recommendations for and learning to sus decent mechanics is the type of reason why a network feels important, and especially when I am traveling alone. Obviously traveling alone is its own issue and my plans will be very different and more adventurous at times when I am not.

Quote:
A fifth wheel trailer and a truck is going to be more mobile and less expensive.
I just saw Sven sold his Step Van, and bought a truck and a trailer, and Rolling Vistas sold their school bus and bought a Van...just two popular youtubers. Check out CheapRVLiving channel, bob shows all kinds of options, from a Prius to a Tracter Trailer Rig.
I notice both of those guys went smaller and part of the reason I'm feeling uncertain is that I don't know if the house I have been planning is actually overkill. Like I could easily fit all my stuff into a 40'x6.5' bus, assuming that's 30'x6' living space minus the hood. And I could definately get it down a little more. I know a van is too small though.

Quote:
In terms of community, if you want to find friends, you need to first find people, that is easy living in the city, not so much in the desert or on a 40 acre farm in the country.
totally true and I am a city person I grew up in nyc and have my ppl here and people elsewhere in the country who will still be my friends when I travel, plus events and gatherings around the country I want to be at. There's not really anther city I'd rather live in or a specific rural area, I want to move around a lot.