Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2019, 10:05 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP/ER
Engine: Cat3126B 230hp
Rated Cap: 48
Lightbulb Hi everybody 🚍

I am new to the Skoolie universe as I am looking for my first School bus. Have my eye on a 2000 freightliner 28 ft with cat 7.2L turbo and Allison tranny.seems very low mileage fir age of vehicle. Dealer says diagnostics reports on 2800 hours on numbers matching engine and dash with odometer repkaced due to ??.4 hour drive to check it out. Claim to have about 42k miles on it. Dies this sound too good to be true for under 5k$??any input would be awesome. Michael Troitino

Mat7783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:17 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat7783 View Post
I am new to the Skoolie universe as I am looking for my first School bus. Have my eye on a 2000 freightliner 28 ft with cat 7.2L turbo and Allison tranny.seems very low mileage fir age of vehicle. Dealer says diagnostics reports on 2800 hours on numbers matching engine and dash with odometer repkaced due to ??.4 hour drive to check it out. Claim to have about 42k miles on it. Dies this sound too good to be true for under 5k$??any input would be awesome. Michael Troitino
I think speedos were the most prone piece of equipment to fail early on and are replaced with used or new ones without a mileage correction. Most school buses see 10k miles a year. So a 2000, would normally have in the ballpark of 190K. Could it have less, sure. 46K, I'd need to check the computer and see if it's stored, or a provable story to back the low mileage claim. To me that would be a $2500 bus. Worth more with 46K, yes. Worth double, not to me.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:20 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Got pictures of the bus?
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:38 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Miles that low are really only possible if the bus was the "spare". Often a district would buy an extra bus to put in service when another bus was disabled. Sometimes those buses got very little actual use.. but often a district would rotate which bus was the spare rather than having a dedicated unit.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't trust a mechanical odometer that sounds too good to be true. Read the computer for actual miles and hours.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:44 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Mine only has 64k miles. Sometimes there are extra buses or buses that have limited uses in a fleet. Mine was a special needs bus and I think they had just one or two kids to haul with it.
If the computer is only showing 2800 hours it sounds like a good bus. Most buses on here have like 10,000 hours or more. I've had buses with as many as 16000 hours.

A low mileage, low hours bus is worth spending money on.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: MVP/ER
Engine: Cat3126B 230hp
Rated Cap: 48
Speedo shows 13k.

The 42,000 mileage is the reading of 2800 engine hours.i donít know if actual mileage listed on report or some average mph calculation was done to get this number. My uneducated math would tell me that at 60ph, realistically probably half that speed, looking at 140k miles tops. So it still not a ton. Will go there to look it over.
Mat7783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
The 42,000 mileage is the reading of 2800 engine hours.i donít know if actual mileage listed on report or some average mph calculation was done to get this number. My uneducated math would tell me that at 60ph, realistically probably half that speed, looking at 140k miles tops. So it still not a ton. Will go there to look it over.

With a supposed 42K miles and 2800 hours, that works out to a lifetime average of 15 MPH, which mathematically is the same as a 150K bus with 10K hours. So I'd say those are very plausible numbers given I understand them to be what the engine computer reported (usually a very reliable indicator of accurate information). If the bus condition supports the low usage, it could be one of two things:

1. Spare bus that didn't get much use, or
2. P.O.S. that literally spent more time in the shop than it did on the road and it's finally reached a point they could get rid of it.

I'd ask for a service history, if one is available, or get the VIN and ask a dealer about its history. Being a 2000 model it most likely has the 3126 Cat engine (The C7 came out around 2003) and these have a reasonably good reputation.

It's been my experience with Freightluggers that the fuel gauge will never really show full (or if it does, it will only be for the first 3 miles) and will show empty with about 20-30% fuel remaining.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
I can agree the fuel gauge can be unreliable. My bus (Thomas Built is owned by Freightliner and my cluster is a Freightliner cluster) has a new tank, with presumably new sending unit. With fuel spilling out of the filler neck it will only show 90% full and seems to go down faster than fuel is actually being consumed. Just last night I was doing fuel economy testing where I filled up, then drove 140 miles in a big circle at 55-60 mph. The fuel gauge dropped down to 75%. But only 16.4 gallons went back into the 100 gallon tank. 8.5 mpg btw for those who don't want to crunch the numbers.

There was also a 1 mile discrepancy between my cluster and my hubmeter.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote