Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #1

Year: 1998
Hi from Columbia, SC.

Hi, my name is Keaton Emmons. Currently living in SC with my wife. I work full time in Fire Alarm installs. We are looking to convert a 1998 International 3800 school bus into a “Skoolie” over the next year to move into at the end of our lease.
I would love to meet more skoolies in the area. And get help from y’all as well as share conversion updates! Thanks

offset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
So I guess you bought the bus you inquired about in your other thread?
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:24 PM   #3

I’m supposed to pick it up tomorrow night. I found out about this platform a few days ago thought heck why not see if anyone has any insight.
If you have any thoughts I’d love to hear them! Thanks
Old 05-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by offset View Post
I’m supposed to pick it up tomorrow night. I found out about this platform a few days ago thought heck why not see if anyone has any insight.
You are looking at a 1998 International with a T444E engine that most likely has an Allison 545 transmission. But to be sure, there is a label on the passenger side of the transmission itself that will tell you exactly the model you have. It probably will be covered in some grime. Otherwise get the VIN and call a local International/Navistar dealer to find out what you are looking at. Some are helpful,if not call until you find one.
You could find a bus with lower mileage, but with the proper maintenance records this may not be an issue. Having those records may depend if the seller is the most recent owner of this bus or a dealer.
Check the DOT date code stamp on each tire even if it has good tread. Ten years is the max that I would want to ride on a tire. Tire aren’t cheap and it takes six.
The price is not bad but asked yourself other questions because the true cost is after you bring it home. Is it long enough or too long? Is it tall enough inside? What about insuring it before driving it home? What is the rear end gear ratio (will affect your speed you asked about)?
My advice would be to be patient on the purchase of a bus. After researching and determining what the most important features are to have and the features to avoid, then look for just that. I have been the impatient one and overlooked some important issues, but never again.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:45 PM   #5
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by offset View Post
About your transmission...
`Click image for larger version

Name:	Allison Trans ID.png
Views:	6
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	44969
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:13 AM   #6

Thanks so much! That was extremely insightful I appreciate it I’m going to check the few things you mentioned.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:14 AM   #7

Thanks! That’s what I’ve been looking for.

Tags
bus build, buslifer, school bus conversion