Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #1
Skoolie

Hi from Lafayette, LA

Hi y'all,

Long time lurker here deciding to finally join the community! I have been researching our skoolie project for a while now, however I feel that I have information overload, so still have no idea what we will end up buying

We are getting to the point where we are ready to buy. We are looking for as much headroom and floorspace as possible. While I like cummins motors, I work for CAT, so I wonder if I should consider the possibility of employee discounts as part of my decision making process?

Thanks for all of the advice I have read while lurking, and thank you in advance for answering the questions I will undoubtedly have in future when I buy the bus!

Steve
Underwater in Louisiana

deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:40 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Hi, Steve!

Hope you're drying out down there!

If you have inside connections at CAT, why not take advantage? It's too bad they left the on-the-road market. Most don't like the CATs because of the increased expense of repair and maintenance parts. You also have inside tech help.

Good luck!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:54 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

User name Deftone, from Laffy? I'm from New Orleans and work offshore from a company out of Broussard. AND my wife is from New Iberia.

We live in Asheville, NC now though.

I already like you.
x225x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:08 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftone View Post
Hi y'all,

Long time lurker here deciding to finally join the community! I have been researching our skoolie project for a while now, however I feel that I have information overload, so still have no idea what we will end up buying

We are getting to the point where we are ready to buy. We are looking for as much headroom and floorspace as possible. While I like cummins motors, I work for CAT, so I wonder if I should consider the possibility of employee discounts as part of my decision making process?

Thanks for all of the advice I have read while lurking, and thank you in advance for answering the questions I will undoubtedly have in future when I buy the bus!

Steve
Underwater in Louisiana
If you work for Cat, go for a Cat!
My dad is a trucker and he swears the best engine he ever had was a Cat.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:21 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Guy I run into in coffee shop all the time in ohio works for CAT, and is part owner of a Diesel shop out of state and says they rebuild more busted up IHC motors in school busses than they do the 3126.. he agreees they cost more to work on but swears by the fact the 3126 (found in many school busses) has lived in many pieces of machinery worked hard for many years..

its the Horror stores of people esp on trucking forums that scares a lot of people..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote