Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

hi from Miami Flo

Hi there... for years i been into building cars (foxbodys) from stripped down to nice clean finish and working 12hr shifts at a Powerplant as CRO and buying properties, 3 business 1 successful till 9/11 basically living the "American Dream" well that dream is not for me lol especially here in miami where everythingis going up except your salary.. well im tierd now and looking to retire earlyer then 66 for full benefit... im 44, i want to retire like now lol.. .. anyway enough of the complaining... i started to look in YouTube on "living off the grid" found RVs, Vans, tiny homes, etc but when i saw the schoolie busses i saw myself in something like that.. a few details on YouTube on this conversion but really was looking for more DOs n DONTs.. my 1st step is what bus should i buy.. i think the medium size bus will suit me most cause is not too long and i can pull a trailer with ATVs and stuff for fun also whats the most reliable engine? and will it be best to get a bus with a nose or the flat face with engine on rear or in bus? one very important option i do want is a shower and a bathroom but because i want the medium size bus will that take away too much space for a kitchen/counter top/L sofa? sorry soo many questions but i have to be picky on these decisions because this is where i will live and travel America with..

thankssss

freeatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Welcome to the site.
Your dream can be achieved with some hard work and patience in finding the right candidate for conversion.
Florida busses are hit or miss with potential rust issues, unfortunately.

The questions you are asking above are all covered in threads on the site. You'll have to do a little research here to get answers to all of them.

As far as bus size goes, that will also be up to you as nobody can say 100 square feet is sufficient for you and your lifestyle. Some experienced Skoolies will suggest getting the biggest bus you can.
Good luck and happy hunting...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Fla. buses are sold after they have been run into the ground and cannabalized for parts, you might find a good bus there, but your chances are better elsewhere. Just start reading everything here before diving into a buy.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
Hi there... for years i been into building cars (foxbodys) from stripped down to nice clean finish and working 12hr shifts at a Powerplant as CRO and buying properties, 3 business 1 successful till 9/11 basically living the "American Dream" well that dream is not for me lol especially here in miami where everythingis going up except your salary.. well im tierd now and looking to retire earlyer then 66 for full benefit... im 44, i want to retire like now lol.. .. anyway enough of the complaining... i started to look in YouTube on "living off the grid" found RVs, Vans, tiny homes, etc but when i saw the schoolie busses i saw myself in something like that.. a few details on YouTube on this conversion but really was looking for more DOs n DONTs.. my 1st step is what bus should i buy.. i think the medium size bus will suit me most cause is not too long and i can pull a trailer with ATVs and stuff for fun also whats the most reliable engine? and will it be best to get a bus with a nose or the flat face with engine on rear or in bus? one very important option i do want is a shower and a bathroom but because i want the medium size bus will that take away too much space for a kitchen/counter top/L sofa? sorry soo many questions but i have to be picky on these decisions because this is where i will live and travel America with..

thankssss

Another Miami skoolie !!! cool !!!

I'm in south dade myself and got two busses in progress, mine and a friends. Just finished raising the roof on one of them 18" inches, man is there a lot of room inside now! My bus is next!

The two websites I have found for Miami bus auctions are Bidera and also Gov deals. You got to inspect what you are going to buy, especially here in Miami!

Be very careful with busses from Palm Beach County schools because they cannibalize them for the good parts, replace them with bad parts and then sell the shell at auction.

I am sending you my contact info, give me a call and let's meet!
ewo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome to the site and good luck finding your bus! Don't rush into it and buy a bus that cannot fill your needs.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

THANKS FELLAS
RUST? you can get rust no matter what weather conditions but i would of thought Florida will be a great state to buy since it never snows..

i really didn't think of a auction , i was more looking into personal owners who still have there bus active like children transporters.. at least i know the bus is being used and working.. not bad prices too..

EWO1
wow man you close, im 5 block north of Hialeah hospital jaja... for sure ill hit you up...
freeatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:05 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
THANKS FELLAS
RUST? you can get rust no matter what weather conditions but i would of thought Florida will be a great state to buy since it never snows..

i really didn't think of a auction , i was more looking into personal owners who still have there bus active like children transporters.. at least i know the bus is being used and working.. not bad prices too..

EWO1
wow man you close, im 5 block north of Hialeah hospital jaja... for sure ill hit you up...
Never say never, it snowed in Ft Lauderdale in 80. While they may not need to salt the roads for ice, the state is surrounded by salt water air that is nearly as corrosive as salt water.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
THANKS FELLAS

EWO1
Miami buses are usually rode hard and put away wet. They are among the worst for rust and neglect.
Florida in general is a horrible place to bus shop. Lots of low spec high mileage buses being sold for top dollar.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote