Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hi from Murrells Inlet South Carolina

Hi everyone new here. I am a merchant mariner so am used to small living quarters. I am planning on buying a school bus in about 4 months (going out to sea for 4 months of work). So that will give me plenty of time for planning and budgetting for my build. I already know I will want a rear engine bus. I will live in it while I am not working so 4 months of bus life then 4 months of ship life. I have been living in a 34 foot 5th wheel built in 2007 for the last year it was very nice but built very cheaply and have had some big problems with it. Looking to make something exceptional 😊. Thinking I can make it livable in under a month a bit spartan but livable. Of course as with anything I do it will be a labor of love and may take 2 years to realize my dream.

Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome

Your time estimates sound about right. Most of us take in the neighborhood of two years.

You shouldnn't have any trouble finding your RE bus. You're looking for all the usual ammenities I presume. This should be interesting four months at a time.

You can set it up for basic living as soon as you get the seats out. Good time of they year too, since it will only get warmer. I found it easiest to live in half the bus while working on the other end.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

As a bonus that 4 months is vacation at least mostly will probably have a few weeks of classes to take while on vacation. I think the seats should take a full day maybe two.Thinking of a compost toilet which is the easiest. I also have a few carpenter friends who will work for beer �� my favorite form of payment lol. Bathroom similar to an rv maybe a little bigger shower. Kitchen similar to an rv also but better custom cabinets dual sink a medium size modern refrigerator. Propane stove, water heater and furnace. At least for the first 4 months. I have been binge watching YouTube videos working on a ship has given me lots of experience with rust removal and painting steel I see many people just painting galvanized sheet metal without using a zinc primer or pretreating with a weak acid such as vinegar but ships end up with allot of salt water don't intend on getting that much salt on a bus ��.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
Bus Geek

You've got it figured out. Sounds good to me. It's harder to do it than it is to say, but I have a feeling we can expect good things from you.

How far are you willing to travel if you find the just right bus?
Old 01-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I can travel anywhere in the USA for the right bus of course would prefer something within the 1000 mile range. California is a really long drive.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I am not limited by geographic location. I am sure that anywhere I buy a bus at I could get it to a point that I can live in it is take the seats out and add a toilet.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Yup, add a couple $10 barrels for internal water tanks and you've got it made.

I tried a hammock for a while but that just didn't work out.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Hello from swansboro,nc.
I have seen some really nice flat nose busses in GOLDSBORO,NC that are already painted blue with white roofs.
I don't know if they are rear engine or not?
The condition looks excellent.
Mid size bus.
Don't know the price?
They are at a car dealership but they look like they just came off of the local Air Force base(Seymour Johnson).
I will be in the area sometime next week and can stop and talk to them about price and specifics.
If you are interested.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I am at the end of my vacation right now. Have to wait about 3 to 4 months before I start seriously shopping for a bus. I have 1 week before I am off to Diego Garcia for 4 months.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
When I am in the area I will stop and check them out anyway.
So I can pass on what I find to others as well.
They look beautiful from the road but that could be a coat of wax which took time and added into the sell price.
I want to know the whole enchilada and how the dealer feels about me climbing around and crawling under his stuff before I will fully recommend it to another member.
They look like road busses that were Air Force kept but I might get a different story when I am there.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote