Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2020, 09:51 AM   #1

Hi from the Buckeye State

My husband and I have 4 grown children and two of them are in the military and one is NCAA women’s soccer coach with a baby on the way. My husband still works but we are letting go of the upkeep of a home we do every spare minute of our time! We are looking at busses and will find land and excited to start this new adventure and being able to leave at any given time with cats and dogs in tow and visiting our children and the new grand baby! I have been watching for three years now every conversion and everyone in the house knows this is the morning coffee routine! I cannot wait at the great age of fifty to start this!!!

BSNAMOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:58 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Welcome! I have a primer of sorts that I've compiled to serve as a buyer's guide, as well as some other information I'll be sending you via PM.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:46 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 07 B
Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: duramax
Hello, we are also buckeyes!
Just bought and built our 23 foot bluebird this year,, hope you do well
Gluedandscrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:17 AM   #4

Thank you very much!!! We are excited and scared at the same time!! I’m more ready than my husband(he’s a little more reserved), but we want something different than the same old grind. Have a great day!!
Old 11-18-2020, 07:20 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
welcome to the jungle!!! and O-H!!!
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Don't over think it, once its done and you get out there for the first time..you will see you have to change it all again. We camped in the driveway a few times, thought we had it licked..headed out for a short two day at Mosquito Lake, and came back and re sorted just about everything.
Its fun, and totally worth it.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Another buckeye for the group. There's numerous members around the state, so if you need help, I'm sure one of us is close.

Are your plans to ditch the house completely and bus it full time? Regardless, you'll find like most have that the conversion never really ends. There's always something to change or upgrades to perform.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:34 PM   #8

My husband still has awhile to retire. He is in law enforcement so he has an age requirement now before he can retire. But both he and I have decided we will sell our home, rent land for a year and look for some land of our own to buy but still have the bus be the home.....we’ll just be able to drive our home�� Maybe I am being naive but I figure he has a job, we have our health, we have given our kids a great start in their life.....what is holding us back? I think everything will work out. I will be 50 in January and I have owned a home since I was 21.....if I have to mulch one more time I might lose it!!! I have nothing against others who live in their home till they retire or......but I want something different while I still have a little P&V in my blood!! As I type my husband and I are driving back from looking at a bus by Dayton and I tell you, we have done nothing but talk about our plans. As I have said, my husband is a little more conservative than me and he is all in, so I feel I have already tackled the biggest hump convincing him this is good..wait..great!!
Old 11-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I see. Well if you're still going to be tied to the area, whatever you do conversion wise, be sure to make it comfortable for winter use. That means good insulation, a good HVAC system, and all of your plumbing will have to be located in the interior of the bus to prevent freezing.

Most of the time, the full-timers on here can beat the snow south or west and live in a comfortable climate year round. But with a career keeping you in the area, your design will have to be a little different.

Just some food for thought.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:14 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
One thing to do is look outside of Ohio for busses.. we end up with a lot of rust buckets here in the buckeye state. One of my busses is an Ohio bus, it was well cared for and also had some rust repairs made to it at some point but it’s def not rust free. It’s not rusted out my my Texas and Oregon busses look a whole lot better underneath.

You have time so you can learn, research, and take time to scout out good areas and good units, as well as decide if building a school bus is the right move or is buying an RV.. have time on your side is huge as nothing is set in stone. Even if you have to mulch a few more years
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:16 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I see. Well if you're still going to be tied to the area, whatever you do conversion wise, be sure to make it comfortable for winter use. That means good insulation, a good HVAC system, and all of your plumbing will have to be located in the interior of the bus to prevent freezing.

Most of the time, the full-timers on here can beat the snow south or west and live in a comfortable climate year round. But with a career keeping you in the area, your design will have to be a little different.

Just some food for thought.
Indeed.
Depending on size of build, we love our propane catalytic heater (wave 6), game changer unless tied to the cord.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:11 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Ashtabula county here! Welcome aboard.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:33 PM   #13

Hello from Lorain County. We’ve passed through your neck of the woods many a times on our way to Edinboro.