Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2021, 11:04 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Only low ash oils. Delo 100 and rotella t-1 sae 30 cold weather sae 40 warm. Otherwise you will gum the rings up. A lot of the time it would break the rings and score the liners. Then it was time for new kits.

s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:10 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 50 View Post
Hello

Don't post much, read a lot and enjoy all your hard work.

Road a Crown to high school 45 miles each way up and down the Trinity River in No. Cal. 1964 - 1968

One early foggy morning she came around a 20 MPH tighter than 90* turn was clipped buy a wide load and forced off the road on a cliff 80' above the river she landed on engine and trans. front axle hanging in the air. Everyone moved slow to the back and out that wonderful rear window...I always reflect on what the driver saw.

What she was most probably seeing was her life flashing before her. Crown or no Crown. That was a true life, WTF moment. Then she was glad she was in that Crown. And then no doubt very gingerly crawled out the rear hatch.

Don't get me started on the oil thing. There is NO substitute for Low Ash (less than 1%) CF2 rated straight mineral (not synthetic) based 40wt oil. DELO 100 is historically the most preferred, but another front runner is Mobil 1240, or Shell Rotello T1, with another one or two candidates I can't remember, but all are CF2 and work as well. They are all rather hard to find today and require patience and pre-buying and carrying on board your bus.

You tell your friend with the 4106 if he really wants to keep his engine intact he must use only these oils, and NEVER any multi-grade oils, EVER. As to noises he hears coming from the engine area, he's probably hearing something that's looking to take lots of his hard earned money, but he still needs to have it checked out by a competent mechanic/shop, or the alternative is to find himself stranded on the side of the road somewhere near Nowhere, Just beyond Unknown, on a dark Sunday night during the holiday season when all possible help is not answering the phone, if his cel even works.... Well you get the picture.

Anyone with any coach ignores "funny" sounds at their EXTREME peril. And the thought that he would even entertain the silly idea of putting in some kind of "thinner" engine oil leads me to believe that he's one of those who will deserve exactly what he gets, Good and Hard. You can tell him I said so, too.

Before you ask, I've driven enough 4106's through the years to know I like them, and I know what I'm talking about, after many many thousands of mile just in 4106's. But today they are way to hard to get parts for and potentially very dicey to deal with when they break something serious, and difficult to find qualified/experienced repair people/shops. Don't abuse them, and take good care of them, and they can last for many years to come, or don't, and you're going to pay and pay and pay some more($$$).
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:47 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Okay...now that we've convinced you that your friend is wrong about his oil suggestion...
I get the Rotella from Tractor Supply. As Crown_Guy said, you should pre-buy and carry some in your bus. Fortunately, you've got lots of room for that!
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote