Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2021, 02:37 PM   #1

Year: 1980
Engine: DD 6-71N
Hi from the road

Hello I'm Jack, brand new owner of a Crown SuperCoach. We just picked up the bus in Southern California last Sunday and drove across to Texas where we are currently icebound in Copperas Cove. Might never get her started again until April! I purchased this bus after spending the last three years looking at Wanderlodges and 80-90's Prevost and constantly being disappointed in the quality of the coach or honesty of the seller, so decided to create my own - and unbeknown to me - becoming a Skoolie.
I travel for my work well over 250 days a year and I am tired of airports and hotels and even some Airbnb's. I think I will enjoy the conversion process and creating something that suites me. Plus, as my girls would tell you - I am not like all the other dads. Not sure if that is said in a complimentary tone.
I would like to in advance give thanks for the advice and knowledge that I will glean from all of you, and apologize as well for not completely being able to reciprocate. But I will learn.
Well, as I said - my name is Jack and Hello!

JackMosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:44 PM   #2

Wanted to add a photo of my project, currently covered in ice
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3380 (1).jpg  
Old 02-16-2021, 03:53 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Welcome to the site Jack.

Crown's are really neat busses. They just have the "look". At least the one's made before Carpenter? bought the marque.

What is the engine and transmission in it, if you know?

Good luck, and post pics if/when the weather permits!
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:16 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
Hello and welcome!
If you go to my thread " The Conversion of my 86 Crown Supercoach" where I have been documenting my conversion, you may find useful info for your conversion. On the left side of your bus under the floor is occupied by the radiator, engine, airbox, batteries and exhaust. The right side of your crown has some room though. The engine access through the floor should not be restricted also. A tip: Crowns do not use special hoses in the cooling system. You have a nice Crown. Enjoy!
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:30 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Hi and welcome.
There's a few Crown experts here and I always enjoy reading what they have to say. Special busses for sure. I don't imagine you thought you'd be iced in in Texas but... anyways... Have fun and good luck
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:42 PM   #6

The bus comes with a freshly rebuilt DD 6-71 two stroke with up sized injectors. Naturally aspirated, coupled with a new 4 speed Allison Automatic transmission. I found that it likes to cruise nicely at between 62-66 mph and 70 is not a problem for the bus just me. Ive even become comfortable enough to have a cup of coffee in one hand while passing or being passed by a big rig at those speeds.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:35 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMosby View Post
Ive even become comfortable enough to have a cup of coffee in one hand while passing or being passed by a big rig at those speeds.
Nice!
I trained myself to drive with my knee when I was kid (and traffic was much less). I would still cruise highways with no hands. In my car (or pickup).

But driving my bus takes two hands, and both eyes, at every moment, when in traffic.

Welcome!
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:25 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Welcome and congratulations. That's a nice looking bus! We have an old Gillig and recently got a sister bus for her...a 1980 Crown. Yours is much nicer looking than ours, but we'll fix that! I'm sure you're really going to have some fun driving yours.

So...let's call upon another one of the Crown gurus... Crown, Crown, Crown. He'll appear soon now, I'm sure. Between Crown_Guy and flattracker and some others, you'll find some great support here.

If you haven't joined the Facebook Crown Coach Junkies group, you should. I created a FB account solely to join that and the Gillig group. It's worth doing.

BTW, here's our new lady... as you can see she isn't as pretty as yours, but we still love her.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2021-02-13 19.15.22.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	54072
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:42 PM   #9
Skoolie

https://youtu.be/QFJHEmexje0

Check this Crown out!
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

So jealous of all the crown owners! Soon. Soon.
mcduffieja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:57 PM   #11

Thanks for all the “welcome’s”. This week in Texas with our new bus has been quite a challenge. With no power and constant sub freezing temps we havnt dared attempted to start the bus. Ive a small generator that we have to keep a heat lamp on the engine but the batteries are on there own. We had a Buddy Heater but took that into my sons house where we are hiding out until this passes. Any advice on what to do when the weather breaks?
Old 02-17-2021, 07:29 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
Your Crown might surprise you and start up in the cold. Since yours came from SoCal it probably does not have an engine heater. Look for a heater power connector at the very front of the left side of the bus, down low. My "old Crown" started up in really cold weather but it took some cranking. If you can get your hands on a solar panel (even 20 watts would help), connect it to your batteries. Some of the "solar chargers" just plug into the cigarette lighter connector. If you have the battery switch in yours turn it off until you can get a means to build up your batteries. The battery switch should be located in the left side engine compartment at the rear. The Detroit can surprise you (in a good way) .
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:30 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Welcome! Beautiful bus. Love the chrome wheels.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:45 PM   #14

27deg here so I went out to try my luck.
Made about two cranks and fired right up and hunted on the governor for about 5 seconds before settling in at about 5k rpm’s.
My son and his wife sighed a big relief, as i think we have about overstayed our welcome
Old 02-18-2021, 04:38 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
good and bad

good to hear the old road cruiser started right up. Look into fuel additives for diesel fuel in cold conditions. I dont know how well texas diesel fuel is formulated for these temperatures....

Sorry to hear about the "worn out welcome". Seems to happen more often than expected.

really dig the crown.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:50 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMosby View Post
27deg here so I went out to try my luck.
Made about two cranks and fired right up and hunted on the governor for about 5 seconds before settling in at about 5k rpm’s.
My son and his wife sighed a big relief, as i think we have about overstayed our welcome

I think you mean 500rpms which is about where it should be set to idle. Crown 6-71's typically idle about 600 to 650 or so. So anywhere from 500 to 650 is normal. The governor hunting is perfectly normal too until it settles and gets warmed up a little. All part of the many charms of Detroits and why we love them so much. The normal start is of course to have it running in a revolution or so and almost before you get your hand off the key. Cold starts may have it crank for 1 to 3 seconds but they usually catch and then you're OK.

Also as you drive that Allison transmission, remember to always mash the throttle to the floor HARD as you accelerate. You always must drive the Detroits like you're mad at them and always keep the rpms up as high as you can. Don't baby it just because it has an automatic. Unspoken here is to watch the transmission on downshifts as you go up grades and if it keeps it in a gear without downshifting at around 1500 rpm, you need to manually take over and place it in the next lower gear. That's how you prevent lugging and overheating the engine.

Also remember to use the proper oil or you WILL have problems. I've put up many threads about the oil but you can contact me direct if you want and I'll give you the low down.

I almost didn't find this thread because you didn't use Crown anywhere in the title. As you obviously found out the naturally aspirated Detroits with their slightly higher compression ratio's will start pretty good at pretty low temps. I would suggest you go buy a can of starting fluid (ether) and keep it on hand for a really cold day, down around 0F, where things could get a lot harder for it to catch and get started. Be sparing with the ether and many say it's hard on the engine since it washes the oil off the cylinder walls but in the cold where it's needed that's a minor thing to worry about.

A Crown with a naturally aspirated 6-71 in good condition will start reliably down to almost 0F but may need a little starting fluid help that low, but temps in the 10-20 range will not be too bad and may only need a little more cranking to get it hot in the cylinders to fire the fuel. While it's still cold and barely burning the fuel it will pour out white smoke which is the un-burned fuel and as it warms up slightly in the cylinders the white will go away and then things will smooth out a lot.

It's a bigger problem to have the fuel start to gel and not flow well, therefore the recommendation to add a fuel conditioner to prevent gelling is a very good idea. Some States add this when they winterized the fuel but Texas probably isn't one of them since it's so rare. Fuel gelling in the fuel lines is a problem while cold soaked but as the engine warms up, and it starts driving, the hot fuel is constantly being recirculated back to the tank which starts to get pretty warm to the touch. This is designed-in to cool the injectors while at the same time keeping the fuel pre-warmed and preventing fuel line gelling at low temps.

Don't ever expect the engine to get hot enough to produce heat for the heater inside by just idling. That won't happen until you start driving it on the road and even then it will take more than 15-30 minutes to generate enough heat to open the first thermostat to let the coolant into the heater loop. It has two thermostats and it's an extremely well designed system where the engine heat is available to the interior heaters first, then the second thermostat starts to open and rejects the excess heat to the radiator when it gets that hot. But the big thing is to know that the engine will NOT generate any excess heat for even the heaters until you start to actually drive it. It's part of why diesels are used, they are extremely efficient in how they use fuel and no fuel is wasted in unproductive waste heat like in a gas engine.

Quite by coincidence I've been training a new Crown owner over the past weekend and they are also driving into the teeth of this Polar Vortex and I sure hope they are OK and make it through to the East Coast where they live. Their Crown is just like yours with a Naturally aspirated 6-71 and a ten speed road ranger manual transmission, so they have a real challenge on their hands, my fingers are crossed for them. They plan on the Southern Route I-10 through New Orleans and points East from there, so, as unexpected as it might be, keep an eye out for their all yellow Crown, while on your trip, they can't be too far away, and they're passing through at about the same time as you.

Two Crowns heading for a new life in the East. Too cool, saving them from a fate worse than death here in Kalifornia.

I'm interested in where and who you got that Crown from. It looks familiar to me somehow but I just can't put my finger on where I've seen it around. Please email me direct and then we can call/text after making contact. I'll also be just a phone call or text away if you have any questions. Happy Trails. mikemcc2k@yahoo.com

See! The, "Crown Crown Crown" does work...... but it helps to have the Crown in the title at least.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:57 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Wow!

What a welcome! Such an advice riddled thread already. Have fun! I will be following(lurking).
nailtechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:28 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Nice looking coach. A good friend bought a PD4106 with a DD 8-71 and Alison automatic. After seeing what he’s been through the past 3 years I’d not want to go the coach route personally. I hope a Supercoach is a more manageable project. Also he said if you tow anything expect it to be covered in oil. And no extra headroom for a tall guy like me. But they look great and must ride nice with that coach suspension compared to the primitive leaf spring suspension in mine. I would imagine they come with gearing for the highway unlike some skoolies.
Also if a loud noise is coming from the engine he found out a thinner oil could be the solution. He’s going to try that soon. Best wishes with it.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:09 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari View Post
Also if a loud noise is coming from the engine he found out a thinner oil could be the solution. He’s going to try that soon. Best wishes with it.
With respect to your friend, this doesn't apply to Detroit 2-strokes. They should not be run with multi-viscosity oils or anything other than low-ash straight 40W or, maybe, 30W oil. Delo 100 or Rotella are good options.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:37 PM   #20

Crowns Are Very Safe

Hello

Don't post much, read a lot and enjoy all your hard work.

Road a Crown to high school 45 miles each way up and down the Trinity River in No. Cal. 1964 - 1968

One early foggy morning she came around a 20 MPH tighter than 90* turn was clipped buy a wide load and forced off the road on a cliff 80' above the river she landed on engine and trans. front axle hanging in the air. Everyone moved slow to the back and out that wonderful rear window...I always reflect on what the driver saw.
John 50 is offline   Reply With Quote