Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2020, 12:09 AM   #1

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Smile Hi from the Wisconsin Burger Bus (TBD)

Hey all,

I've been stalking these forums for a bit, but never made an account. Is that weird? I hope not.

Anyway, approximately half a year ago, I visited a friend of mine in Joshua Tree. He lives in a Chevy Cargo van. I've put off visiting him for so long, until I ran out of excuses. I didn't want to sleep in his van with him. People live in houses, I thought. Forgive my novice. I realized how wrong I was.

When I arrived to Joshua Tree, we did some sight seeing, and hiking, of course. But we ended up going to this meet up type deal, and there were a few skoolies there. I don't mind saying, my mind was blown. The buses were beautiful. I didn't want to leave. I thought they were so cool. I was like a little boy who had gone to his first monster truck show. Not to mention how nice and family oriented everyone was. Needless to say, I was hooked. One of them had this deck on top of their bus, and we chilled up there drinking Vita Ice. The Vita Ice part is irrelevant, but it's what we did! It was pretty nice. I wanted a skoolie...I want a skoolie.

I don't think I can convert to the skoolie life completely, and live off-grid, but I am determined to make a skoolie my own. I've been trying to make my way into the food truck business for some time and now due to my recent travels, I want to combine it with my skoolie dream. I think flat-nose buses look so cool. Especially the Thomas HDX models. I love the snoopy ears, or whatever you personally call those mirrors. With that, I want to buy one and convert it into a food truck. I've been jotting down ideas from all the threads I've been reading on this site, and pictures you all have posted. It's been wonderful.

I started a Kickstarter to help me in my skoolie food bus conversion. I'm hoping that you would give it a read. Maybe even donate. If not, no worries. Maybe you have some ideas for me! I want to thank you all for the wealth of knowledge in this site. You'll be hearing from me soon with questions, I'm sure. I hope to make some great relationships with you guys.

Thank you so much!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...=project_build

thatwiscobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:01 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Welcome to the Skoolie sub-culture.

I don't really have anything to suggest on a build that you probably haven't already seen, but I do have a menu item suggestion. Years ago I ate at a diner in Minikonie Wi. It's a little subsection of Marinette, right on the bay. The place closed down a dozen years ago, but I had one of the best burgers I have ever had in my life in that little diner! It was called The Wisconsin Burger. It was a beef patty topped with cheese and bacon, topped with a Brat patty that was topped with cheese and bacon. I think there were 5 different cheeses on that burger! I have been looking for a burger that good ever since. I have found 1 or 2 that are close, but never it's equal. You make a burger that good and I will go out of my way on my next road trip to Wi, in my Skoolie, just to give it a try!
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #3

You know, you're like the 3rd person to recommend that burger idea to me. I think I'll have to do it. A. Burger with a brat on top, you say?! I like it! Consider it done. I'll have to get you to taste test it before it goes live. Might even give you naming rights
Old 05-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #4
Bus Nut

When grilling at home I make that combo quite often. I can't get the real good German brats out here in the west, Johnsonville Brats is about the best I have found out here. I just cut the casing off and make a patty out of it. Fresh ground beef from a local rancher seasoned with Applewood, Redman Sea Salt, and white pepper. Munster, Gouda, Havarti, Colbyjack, and Provolone all layered with bacon and that Brat patty. Put all that on a stone ground Cibata bun with a thick slice of a Brandy Wine tomato. There is not much better that you can stuff in your face than that!! I'll have to work on a good name for it.

What part of Wi are you in? I grew up in the Northeast part, right on the Menominee River.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #5

That receipe sounds glorious. Mouth watering!

I'm near Sun Prairie, the Msdison area. Went to school here and never left!
Old 05-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #6
Bus Nut

I once knew a guy that moved there. Steve Miller, I think he worked for DNR maybe. Had a daughter named Ginger that was my age. Great family.

I'm always on the prowl for the best Bacon Cheeseburger ever! Couldn't find it, so I had to make it myself.