Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #1

HI! I am a newbie, looking for input

Hi!
Brand new, have been researching for about a year. I am getting close to purchasing, looking for about 35 feet. My questions are:
Good engines to look for
Good bus make/ model
I will be looking for something in th $3000 range so I am just searching for something as reliable as possible.
Any feedback is appreciated.
I think I read some negative remarks about a Ford 7.3l oneness.
Thanks in advance.

LISAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
3000 range

Engine choice is like your favorite flavor of food...... it is a personal opinion in most cases.

example.... international DT series engines dt360 dt 408 dt466 dt530 these are turbocharged, mechanical injection engines that have "sleeves". This means, to a point, the engine can be rebuilt in the bus.... or in situ. slightly cheaper for rebuild. I kinda like these engines. parts are around, they tolerate dirt better than a newer Electronic injection engine.. a DT466E for example is a newer engine with a computer driven injection system.

A DT360 and a cummins 5.9 on paper are a nearly identical engine from an engineering standpoint. With one major exception. Then engine block on the cummins is all piece and you cannot over haul the pistons/cylinders- which are called pistons/sleeves in the dt360. So a mechanical injection cummins has to come out of the bus to rebuilt. inline 6 a smooth running engine

a cummins 8.3 DT530 are the most similar to each other. both are about the same size 8 liters or 500 cubic inches inline 6 smooth running engine

a caterpillar 3116 and DT466 are most similar about 7.3 liters or 450 cubic inches inline 6 smooth running engine.

there are older Ford-New Holland engines 6.6 and I think 7.8 again both mechanical and inline 6

v8-diesels

ford/international 6.9/7.3 idi indirect injection been around for a while not a power house but respectable... you are buying a bus, not an american muscle car. newer version 7.3 is again electronic injection but more power.

the weak point for all the international v-8's 7.3 6.0 6.4 what ever... is when they are turbocharged and the power turned up ... head gaskets. These engine use only 4 bolts around the piston. most of the others have five or six bolts.

the international 6.0 or ford 6.0 is had several problem areas and just doesnt have the staying power that the 7.3 does... in addition to the headbolt/ headgasket issue is camshaft lifters.... they come apart and that destroys the cam and that destroys the engine..... You have to completely take apart the engine to clean out all the metal bits ... It can do the job, but you will spend more in order to do this with reliability.

international 365 v8 same kind of issues with the 6.0 just has not gained a good reputation.

international maxxforce engines..... lawsuit lawsuit lawsuit terrrible terrible just dont. buy it and see about putting another engine in it

caterpillar 3116 3126 c7 the had more failures at lower mileage than the 3126. the 3116 is mechanical and the 3126 is electronic. The c7 engines last longer then the cummins 5.9 but about half the c7's failed at 590,000 thousand miles

the cat 3208 can be dependable bigger engine found in bigger busses... needs to have bearings replaced more often that seems to be the big weak point. again big v8 diesel found in older buses

detroit 8.2 v8 also know as "fuel pincher" this engine was the same era as the 3208 ford new hollands and cat 3208

cummins 5.9 half the engine failed at about 350,000 miles

then there are industrial gas bus engines ford dodge and chevrolet... international

yadda yadda yadda okay I am done for now.

Every engine, every transmission has a weak point. If These engines were such junk in the first place, they were not likely to have been made more than a few months.... read read read read... learn to filter out the opinions as stick to facts.

william call if you wanna talk bout engines 785 207 7600
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #3

Thanks William that helps a lot!!! I appreciate. I may take you up in that phone call!
Old 07-12-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by LISAL View Post
Thanks William that helps a lot!!! I appreciate. I may take you up in that phone call!
i see you are in NC.
where at? i am down by the beach.
stay away from the 8.2 if you can and i and NC loved buying the 545 transmission.
try looking for mountain area buses which will have better motors and transmission
but it all depends on what you are looking for.
govdeals
Elizabeth city has some for auction right now
good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #5
Bus Geek

forgot to add
text me first with your user name here
i get to much junk calls
252-503-8801
i know the onslow county NC buses are built to run 49mph all day long.
and yes they have some for sell right now and keep complete records from the day they order them until they sell it to you.
havent looked to see what they have for sale right now but if i have time this week i will drop into the bus barn and see. i pass buy it weekly and they are good people so i can let you know what i find if wanted.
i need a shortie for my wife and her travels.
good luck
Old 07-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #6

Hey thanks Jolly Roger!!! I am in Western NC.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #7
Bus Geek

call or go to your local bus barns and see what they have.
you are in a good area for mountain and interstate capable buses.
also there is a huge bus barn around Graham mebane and Greensboro area I think MECKLENBURG county and when i was working in the area i drove right in to there garage and the mechanics had no problems talking to me and sharing there opinions.
good luck

Tags
advise, engine, model