Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I cant drive my bus like a car? I went to starbucks and then got groceries in it a day before I left on my work trip.. only reason i didnt drive it here is becausse the hotel already had 2 45 Vanhools parked in their large vehicle parking this week...
-Christopher
Chris, you are an exception because your bus is in top shape. That doesn't come without having a high awareness of everything going on with it from front to back, top to bottom. You have or make the effort to maintain is what I am saying and can hop in their and drive anywhere tomorrow. Has nothing to do with being a grocery getter, short hops will kill a bus faster than a car.

John

Old 12-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Good idea to check the date stamp on tires. They can "look" OK as far as tread but be 10 years out of date. Some on my shorty were were about 40 years out of date.
That's just Tango showing off. He likes to know there's something on this planet that's older than him.....

M

P.S. - Seriously, I'm suspecting that's a dealer bus. And for a dealer bus the price is about right for the market. The 7.3L engine IS coveted for that size and larger buses. She'll pull strong in the hills and mountains. CK (Christopher) is a brilliant mind about this size bus and the engine/transmission combinations available. He's the go-to-guy for such questions. I'm from the big-rig side, so my knowledge on electronic powertrains is kinda limited.

I think if it were me, I'd be happy to have something like that if I was single. Easy to maneuver in tight spots and tighter camping areas. You can put a trailer on the back and she'd never even know it was there. Overall, without actually seeing the bus, it looks good from here.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmchoohaa View Post
My mechanic is checking things out for me while I'm out of state. I feel like I'm jumping the gun. Maybe this isn't right for me? I really want the shorter bus, but am willing to compromise and go slightly larger.

I'm excited, terrified, worried, nervous...etc.

Also, as someone that drives all over the U.S. and Canada, will I have any issues getting anywhere? I was even nervous crossing into Ontario earlier this year in an Altima.

Damned nervous personality.

I just want assurance. I hope my mechanic finds a great situation.

Michael Duvic
Most of us will agree, the right bus will "find you" at the right time. Whether you are religious or not, does it seem like "your prayers are answered"? Or does it seem like the universe is telling you this is the one for you? (Or whatever other belief system you follow, you get the idea).

Someone said that one Canadian province will insist you have an air-brake endorsement on your license if the bus is so equipped (and it is my understanding this is true even in a factory-built RV), but aside from that, travel around the 2 countries is little different than in a car.

If you want a somewhat shorter bus, then hold out until you find one. They are plentiful. Don't settle for something you may be unhappy with. ... that said, I did compromise on mine. But the compromises I made, I made as informed decisions.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Most of us will agree, the right bus will "find you" at the right time. Whether you are religious or not, does it seem like "your prayers are answered"? Or does it seem like the universe is telling you this is the one for you? (Or whatever other belief system you follow, you get the idea).

Someone said that one Canadian province will insist you have an air-brake endorsement on your license if the bus is so equipped (and it is my understanding this is true even in a factory-built RV), but aside from that, travel around the 2 countries is little different than in a car.

If you want a somewhat shorter bus, then hold out until you find one. They are plentiful. Don't settle for something you may be unhappy with. ... that said, I did compromise on mine. But the compromises I made, I made as informed decisions.
Some US states insist on an air brake endorsement too, but as all states, and Canada accepts all US driver licenses, it's not a problem. Just follow the rules in your state.

Were this not the case, there would be many states that half, or more, RV drivers couldn't visit because if your state doesn't demand an air brake endorsement, then there is no facility to add one.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:04 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
People's vehicles have been held at Canadian border crossings until a properly endorsed driver could drive the vehicle through the crossing. That was for exiting the country to get on a ferry headed for Alaska, so they'd already driven through one border crossing and through the country to get to Prince Rupert. Usually someone with a trucker's license can be found to get the vehicle across the border.

There is no air brake endorsement available in Oregon. It's a full class "B" bus driver's license for that endorsement. Still feasible. That would hurt to get hit with an air brake endorsement requirement only when exiting Canada.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
People's vehicles have been held at Canadian border crossings until a properly endorsed driver could drive the vehicle through the crossing. That was for exiting the country to get on a ferry headed for Alaska, so they'd already driven through one border crossing and through the country to get to Prince Rupert. Usually someone with a trucker's license can be found to get the vehicle across the border.

There is no air brake endorsement available in Oregon. It's a full class "B" bus driver's license for that endorsement. Still feasible. That would hurt to get hit with an air brake endorsement requirement only when exiting Canada.
I have never had my license checked at any border, for any endorsement. I have never heard of this happening to any motorcyclist, so I'd be wanting actual examples before believing apocryphal tales of these RV owners stopped and refused permission to continue with their perfect valid license.

Build Thread
Old 12-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #27
Bus Geek

This, from Ontario, on reciprocity:

Ontario permits an out-of-province driver to drive a vehicle or combination of vehicles in Ontario if the driver is properly licensed to drive the vehicle or combination in their Province or State of residency and the licence is valid.

Build Thread
Old 12-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #28
Bus Geek

It wasn't a motorcyclist. It was a skoolie. The issue was air brake endorsement and it happened a few years back reported on this site by the individuals it happened to. Perhaps that or similar incidents caused changes or clarification of Canadian law concerning US citizens. I don't know. There was no follow up that I know of.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:37 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
It wasn't a motorcyclist. It was a skoolie. The issue was air brake endorsement and it happened a few years back reported on this site by the individuals it happened to. Perhaps that or similar incidents caused changes or clarification of Canadian law concerning US citizens. I don't know. There was no follow up that I know of.
Or simply a cop, or official, who didn't know the law. That happens here too and it's really not something you can do much about.

There was an issue with headlight modulators on motorcycles. They are legal in all 50 states, but many state cops simply didn't know. Bikers took to carrying a copy of the federal statute when they went out of state.

The Skoolie guy was legal in Canada, even if he was stopped and detained a while. Sucks, but it happens.

Build Thread
Old 12-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #30
Bus Geek

That was basically what I wrote it off to also. An over zealous officer trying to catch somebody. It could have just been a pissed off officer too.

It has made me think about getting that class "B" license at times just to make sure, but that would look like some type of possible commercial use with a professional bus driver's license. It's all about image you know.

The moral of the story is don't take the ferry from Prince Rupert to AK. Take the ferry from Bellingham.

I priced what it would take to get my bus to AK from Bellingham. It's about a grand one way. Remember my bus is 26'. I've been trying to think of a two thousand dollar reason for me to go back up to AK to visit. Haven't thought of one. I have taken a motorcycle on the ferry in the past. Those were the good old days?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:14 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
That was basically what I wrote it off to also. An over zealous officer trying to catch somebody. It could have just been a pissed off officer too.

It has made me think about getting that class "B" license at times just to make sure, but that would look like some type of possible commercial use with a professional bus driver's license. It's all about image you know.

The moral of the story is don't take the ferry from Prince Rupert to AK. Take the ferry from Bellingham.

I priced what it would take to get my bus to AK from Bellingham. It's about a grand one way. Remember my bus is 26'. I've been trying to think of a two thousand dollar reason for me to go back up to AK to visit. Haven't thought of one. I have taken a motorcycle on the ferry in the past. Those were the good old days?
I looked at those ferries for another adventure. They are very expensive. Also, I'd rather drive.

Build Thread
Old 12-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #32
Bus Geek

If you can go on the ferry as a backpacker and sleep in the solarium on the provided lawn type chairs it's relatively affordable, especially if you take most of your own food. People like the ferrys because it forces them to relax. You meet lots of people and the inside passage really is spectacularly beautiful. There's really not many other ways to see the fiords. That's still some serious isolation over there.

Tags
1999, 3800, 7.3, diesel, international