Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the ICP is what shut you down most likely.. glad to hear you are back on the road..

the fuel filter is easy to replace for you in the future.. souydns like maybe that bus sat for a long time and has some rough fuel.. id change that filter again when you got home just to be sure..

the fuel pump in the T444E is mechanical.. old-school Lobe off the cam runs it...

the Injectors themselves mulltiply the lift pump pressure ( 47-72 PSI depending on your year and whether the fuel spring TSI was performed)..

keeping your engine oil cleaned and changed often is Imperative on the 444E, the engine oil is used as hydraulic fluid to actuate the injectors for the fuel shots into the cylinders.. the ICP sensor tells the computer what pressure that is.. and the IPR valve actually regulates it.. if either one of those loses connection it will turn on the WARN light and may shut you down..

2600 RPMs wont destroy the T444E, the ford 7.3 is based on this engine and spins at 3200 RPM, albeit it has a different head gasket.. but the bottom end and valve-train are the same ..

2600 RPMs very well may Over-heat ion Hot summer conditions for extended times on the highway.. mine would get warm.. the fan should roar when your temp gauge gets just to or slightly above the 210 mark.. at 80 degrees out you'll be fine.. but at 95. I was running warm at 2600 RPM on the highway..

the throttle pedal on a T-444E is mapped to an RPM and not to engine load.. so even though your engine may not be loaded down hard.. to maintain 60+ MPH you'll likely have to put your foot to the floor.. (not sure who came up with that hair brained scheme of pedal mapping)..

the 444E is generally pretty reliable but dont plan on hauling ass in it even if you re-gear your bus.. its not a fast engine.. but it will get you there (for real.. even though you got shut down once I know you are thinking.. reliable? really??)..

I swapped my transmission and turned up the smoke on mine, which makes it a real runner.. but I have no idea how it will effect longevity..

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:21 AM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
YAY!!!!
I kinda wondered if it wasn't just gummed up from the 18 months of sitting.
Learn how to replace the fuel filter! Its EASY on your engine.
I pulled the filter Monday night, it looked fine, and nothing in the reservoir - it is VERY easy!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:26 AM   #63
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
My bluebird had two fuel filters. Not sure on my Thomas.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #64
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International Blue Bird
Engine: International 7.3
Rated Cap: 64 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the ICP is what shut you down most likely.. glad to hear you are back on the road..

the fuel filter is easy to replace for you in the future.. souydns like maybe that bus sat for a long time and has some rough fuel.. id change that filter again when you got home just to be sure..

the fuel pump in the T444E is mechanical.. old-school Lobe off the cam runs it...

the Injectors themselves mulltiply the lift pump pressure ( 47-72 PSI depending on your year and whether the fuel spring TSI was performed)..

keeping your engine oil cleaned and changed often is Imperative on the 444E, the engine oil is used as hydraulic fluid to actuate the injectors for the fuel shots into the cylinders.. the ICP sensor tells the computer what pressure that is.. and the IPR valve actually regulates it.. if either one of those loses connection it will turn on the WARN light and may shut you down..

2600 RPMs wont destroy the T444E, the ford 7.3 is based on this engine and spins at 3200 RPM, albeit it has a different head gasket.. but the bottom end and valve-train are the same ..

2600 RPMs very well may Over-heat ion Hot summer conditions for extended times on the highway.. mine would get warm.. the fan should roar when your temp gauge gets just to or slightly above the 210 mark.. at 80 degrees out you'll be fine.. but at 95. I was running warm at 2600 RPM on the highway..

the throttle pedal on a T-444E is mapped to an RPM and not to engine load.. so even though your engine may not be loaded down hard.. to maintain 60+ MPH you'll likely have to put your foot to the floor.. (not sure who came up with that hair brained scheme of pedal mapping)..

the 444E is generally pretty reliable but dont plan on hauling ass in it even if you re-gear your bus.. its not a fast engine.. but it will get you there (for real.. even though you got shut down once I know you are thinking.. reliable? really??)..

I swapped my transmission and turned up the smoke on mine, which makes it a real runner.. but I have no idea how it will effect longevity..

-Christopher
Thank you so much for all this info! I love the 7.3 which is why I went ahead n bid on it even tho I knew it had been sitting a while (since June 2017). What’s kinda funny is I had bid on a bus a lil over an hour from where I work n got outbid where I couldn’t go higher at the time. So I bid on another n outbid once again. 3rd times the charm, this one only had less than 15 minutes left with that auto 3 minute extension if anyone else bids in the last bit til there’s no more bids. Oh the anticipation of reload reload reload the page n then boom, done, I win!!! So much excitement!!! The mechanic said it’s a good bus even as dirty as it is n will be even better when I get it converted. They were all quite happy for me.

I’m planning to get a full PM aka oil change done on it soon. In a lil bit I’ll be back over by dredman. He’s gonna take a ride with me. I’m hearing it shift 3 gears but not sure if it’s actually shifting into the 4th gear. Sometimes it’s difficult to catch when it shifts which is rather odd to me but we’ll see.

The highest I’ve seen the temp get up to is about where 190-195 would be.

Yeah, even tho it did shut down, it still feels like it has lots of power. Goes up hill without a problem but then again there’s not much in it yet. For not going fast, here’s my thoughts. Life is not a race, it’s all about the journey. Slow down n smell the roses. Relax n enjoy the scenery. So going slow, I’m all good with that. Yeah I like to drive faster, but once I’m done trucking n am in the Skoolie full time, there’s no need to rush n don’t want to rush either. I’ve thought about a different transmission n different gears. Maybe switch them out but not yet
LeahBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
My bluebird had two fuel filters. Not sure on my Thomas.
This one is a blue bird too.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #66
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
YAY!!!!
I kinda wondered if it wasn't just gummed up from the 18 months of sitting.
Learn how to replace the fuel filter! Its EASY on your engine.
It all looks so tiny under the hood compared to the Peterbilt I drive. I’m planning to learn as much as I can about doing as much of the work on all of it myself.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #67
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
I pulled the filter Monday night, it looked fine, and nothing in the reservoir - it is VERY easy!
I’m looking forward to learning more about doing all the work on this bus that I physically can do. I’ve got a lot to learn. Your help is very much appreciated too
Old 02-06-2019, 10:01 AM   #68
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahBaker View Post
It all looks so tiny under the hood compared to the Peterbilt I drive. I’m planning to learn as much as I can about doing as much of the work on all of it myself.
That's a good idea.
Another thing to look at on the 444E is this idler pulley that's on the drivers side middle of the front of the engine. They commonly fail.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Waiting for Leah to start her BUILD thread?

The rest of the story - or at least SOME of the video I shot and you have not seen yet. If you watched the 1st four vids, some of that is in here too, towards the beginning.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #70
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
The 8.3 Cummins is king in the school bus world.
There are Crowns with big cam 855 Cummins but they're rare fetish items and folks collect em.

How about one that had an N14 Cummins? (Columbus GA had a few sell recently.) VIN checks confirmed the listing of N14 engines.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #71
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
That's a good idea.
Another thing to look at on the 444E is this idler pulley that's on the drivers side middle of the front of the engine. They commonly fail.
Cool I’ll check that out. I made it all the way back home and then to where I work. I’m concentrating more on the mechanical stuff before really doing much on the conversion even. I drive truck over the road so it’s not like I need the conversion done ASAP anyway. I’ll definitely get that part looked at along with literally everything else. There’s a few things I know need to get done like the driver side kingpin, an air leak and a couple lights which those are all gonna be changed out to LED. Oh, the gauges don’t always work and the dash lights don’t work at all. I drove thru heavy rain n the floor got wet. It looked like it was coming from the wheel well. I’ll know more about that when I pull the floor up. I’m seriously considering getting the floor n walls done with rhino lining after the current floor is out, metal cleaned n prepared. A bit on the pricey side maybe but sure does a good job of sealing.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #72
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
How about one that had an N14 Cummins? (Columbus GA had a few sell recently.) VIN checks confirmed the listing of N14 engines.
Well those would be the real Unicorns of the East then!
My vin checks on my old 3800 short bus showed an available 14 liter engine.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #73
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: B8000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 24
I live on my farm.
reedy is offline   Reply With Quote