Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2018, 11:07 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Hi, I'm New Here

Hello! New to the forum and new to Skoolie conversion with many questions. I am on the verge of purchasing a 1997 Ford E350 7.3 diesel mini school bus. I'm in California and my plan is first to remove the seats and use it to transport my stuff cross country (I run a vintage store and am taking my choice furniture pieces with me - not a lot but my favorites). Then plan to convert it and live in it, mostly stationary, not a huge amount of traveling.

I'm looking to convert in the simplest way possible that will allow me to live in the bus in New England winter temperatures. I'll be posting many questions to that end over the next couple of months. Glad you all are here!

firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:46 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

The 7.3L is a great engine. Unfortunately the Ford transmission behind it is a real weak sister.

Don't get the transmission hot. It already has issues of not keeping cool. Getting it hot just shortens the lifespan.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Firebuild - glad you're here!

If you want a larger bus for a moving van and rudimentary RV for the trip, and can wait a couple of months, I'll have one available in Idaho (link). I could pick you up at the airport in Spokane. No idea what we'll be asking for it, but probably will start the price at $4,000 and see where the offers go. It has just over 25 feet clear behind the driver's seat.

It will have a recent oil change, new filters, a new serpentine belt and tensioner, all but a few of the seats removed and a co-pilot chair added, and will be painted (probably Ford Blue) - ready to load and convert at the other end.

-Tim
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
The 7.3L is a great engine. Unfortunately the Ford transmission behind it is a real weak sister.

Don't get the transmission hot. It already has issues of not keeping cool. Getting it hot just shortens the lifespan.
Hmm, could you explain a little more about this, and could anyone else with experience on the subject weigh in? it seems like I've read dozens of accounts, even on this site, of people driving this specific setup cross country with no issues. I haven't really heard about it running hot. And if not this, what would you recommend?

Dapplecreek, thanks but I really need to keep it small.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote