Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2020, 08:22 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe-t-liner ef
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Hi just bought my first bus

Hello I just bought a Thomas safe-t-liner ef 54 passenger on auction. I am kinda nervous about driving it home from New Jersey to Michigan. I was wondering if I need anything to legally drive it home my insurance company said it needs to be converted before they can insure it and I won’t be registered until I can get it back home. Any advice for the trip would be appreciated.

Thanks ,
Nick Bigger

Nbigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:38 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbigger View Post
Hello I just bought a Thomas safe-t-liner ef 54 passenger on auction. I am kinda nervous about driving it home from New Jersey to Michigan. I was wondering if I need anything to legally drive it home my insurance company said it needs to be converted before they can insure it and I won’t be registered until I can get it back home. Any advice for the trip would be appreciated.

Thanks ,

Nick Bigger
You need commercial insurance until it's converted from a school bus. "Converted" as defined by your insurance company. They vary. I got a commercial policy before I drove mine home and then cancelled it when I got here.

If it can transport 16 people including driver you need a commercial license as well, whether or not you actually have 16 people in it.

I would not advocate for anyone to break the law. I also have not heard of anybody being pulled over coming home with their bus. I wasn't.

Depending on what states you're driving through you probably need tags as well. In Ga if you have insurance and bill of sale with you, I think you're allowed seven days to get it registered.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
A "commercial" policy is different than a "commercial for personal use" policy.

The difference in price can be significant.

You want the commercial for personal.

FWIW: my insurance company provided two weeks of automatic coverage on my auto policy so that I could drive it home. I provided the VIN for them to confirm that it would be covered. I have driven three buses home this way so far.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
A "commercial" policy is different than a "commercial for personal use" policy.
Before I stumbled into Allstate and actual RV insurance, I was calling around to local agents for different companies trying to get a "commercial for personal use" policy. Not one of them had ever heard of it. I don't know if it was a PA thing or I was just pronouncing it funny.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks I talked to my Allstate agent I was planing on cutting a few seats out and putting up a hammock and then setting up a hot plate and sending him photos and he said he would insure it for me. I will check on the commercial for private use is there a company that is better for this because Allstate didn’t mention it at all. I have a commercial license and have driven cement trucks and large box trucks in the past so I think I’m ok there.

Thanks again for the wisdom I appreciate it I don’t normally go out on a limb and just buy something so I am definitely a little nervous.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Before I stumbled into Allstate and actual RV insurance, I was calling around to local agents for different companies trying to get a "commercial for personal use" policy. Not one of them had ever heard of it. I don't know if it was a PA thing or I was just pronouncing it funny.
No I couldn't find one either. I've only heard of it on here. But then again I've never owned a bus before.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks I talked to my Allstate agent I was planing on cutting a few seats out and putting up a hammock and then setting up a hot plate and sending him photos and he said he would insure it for me. I will check on the commercial for private use is there a company that is better for this because Allstate didn’t mention it at all. I have a commercial license and have driven cement trucks and large box trucks in the past so I think I’m ok there.

Thanks again for the wisdom I appreciate it I don’t normally go out on a limb and just buy something so I am definitely a little nervous.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:

My understanding is that 01marc was able to get commercial for personal from State Farm in Georgia. Maybe he will chime in and speak to the particulars in Georgia.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:47 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
My understanding is that 01marc was able to get commercial for personal from State Farm in Georgia. Maybe he will chime in and speak to the particulars in Georgia.

I'm in GA and got the "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use" policy, though mine's from Progressive Commercial (don't bother with their private auto division, they have no idea what this even is and will tell you Progressive doesn't offer any such thing.)
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:27 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I'm in GA and got the "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use" policy, though mine's from Progressive Commercial (don't bother with their private auto division, they have no idea what this even is and will tell you Progressive doesn't offer any such thing.)
Huh. I've had Progressive most of the 20 years I've been here. Same agent. She told me it was just commercial for a bus. I remember before i picked up the bus I called Nationwide to compare quotes. It was much cheaper the first few minutes on the phone with him. Then he said they used Progressive to write the actual policy and my rate went double because of a claim on my insurance (no ticket) from a year and a half ago that showed up on his search.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:37 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for all the help I will be making some calls today and try to get it set up. Is there any kind of towing insurance for a decent price I would imagine if something did happen it would probably cost more to tow the bus than I actually paid for it.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:45 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
We were able to get a 'commercial for personal use' policy through State Farm here in NH as well.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #13
Almost There

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000-8 Window
Engine: Cumm ISB/Allison 2000
I was able to get insurance thru State Farm last November (about $65) and drive home. Only requirements were no passengers and seating for 6 passengers or less. (Hmmm)

Anyway, I had bill of sale, signed title and proof of insurance. Neither of the two states that I was in (Tennessee & Arkansas) required a trip permit or temp tags.
jofred99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
Huh. I've had Progressive most of the 20 years I've been here. Same agent. She told me it was just commercial for a bus. I remember before i picked up the bus I called Nationwide to compare quotes. It was much cheaper the first few minutes on the phone with him. Then he said they used Progressive to write the actual policy and my rate went double because of a claim on my insurance (no ticket) from a year and a half ago that showed up on his search.
I know this is knock-on-wood territory, but luckily I haven't had a claim on my insurance since 1989. I've been in a couple of accidents since then, but always 100% the other driver's fault.

The 1989 claim was amusing, though. I was cutting across the ends of rows of parked cars in a strip mall parking lot (learning not to do this, of course) when a black limo suddenly appeared in front of me driving between the rows like normal and I braked but our bumpers clipped. Immediately the doors of the limo opened and four enormous guys with mullets and black suits got out along with a frail-looking old guy and surrounded me. At the same time, four more black-suited mulleted dudes starting running towards the car from the mall.

I immediately started saying "it was my fault, it was definitely my fault, I have insurance, I will pay for your damage even if my insurance doesn't cover it" over and over. Turns out the frail old guy owned the strip club in the mall (this was Albuquerque, common thing) and the black suits were the bouncers. It's funny how a situation like that makes the assessment of blame so easy.

My insurance company (whoever it was) paid the $1800 claim and then doubled my premium. I just switched to a different company for the same price I had been paying before. Since the accident was in a private parking lot, no police and no police record.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:20 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for all the help no luck yet but I have some agents calling me back hopefully tomorrow. Does insurance company’s have different policy’s per state?
Old 02-04-2020, 10:42 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Thanks for all the help no luck yet but I have some agents calling me back hopefully tomorrow. Does insurance company’s have different policy’s per state?

Every state does insurance differently as to what the minimum coverage that is required.

For instance, in MI, you can't get a license on a vehicle without proof of insurance. And if your insurance gets canceled sometime during the year for whatever reason the state requires you to send your license plate back to the state.

You will need to work with an agent that is familiar with the rules and regulations of your state. You may find it better to use a local agent, particularly one that represents multiple carriers. Calling a toll free number can be hit or miss when you are dealing with something a bit odd like a bus conversion.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
insurance is first by state then. by zipcode... just because someone says "i cant get progressive".. or "state farm wont do busses"... remember that person isnt likely in your zip code.. and of course better driving records have better chances of coverage..

ive had statefarm for 25 years (ohio).. on my residence and a few cars at a time but yet they wont touch any of my busses.. they said in ohio they dont have a policy / category for commercial vehicles not being used commercially.. however we see others getting it in other states.. so always check with all comkpanies before giving up..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
For instance, in MI, you can't get a license on a vehicle without proof of insurance. And if your insurance gets canceled sometime during the year for whatever reason the state requires you to send your license plate back to the state.
Virginia is similar, if your insurance is canceled, your registration is voided. Unless you pay the uninsured motorist fee ($500), in which allows you to drive without insurance for a year. Better be really, really careful tho.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #19
Bus Geek

A note on liability limits.

Most, if not all, states, have minimum coverage amounts for your liability. In the states that I have carried insurance they have liability minimums that leave you exposed if you only take minimum required coverage.

If the gent that caused the last accident that I was in only had WA minimum required liability he probably lost his house. The claims for damages were over $70,000. WA' only requires $30,000 in coverage leaving $40,000 that he would be on the hook for.

I carry $100,000 liability on all of my vehicles.

Just my $0.02.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:11 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Drive carefully VERY carefully!
rjheaton@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote