Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #1

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Hi there from Ocean Springs MS

My wife and I have wanted to get a Skoolie for a little over a year. We got serious about it a month or so ago and purchased our 1999 international 3800 DT466E today. A little less than 92k miles! Got it for $1200!

Supposedly it was being used for a trip at a daycare last Christmas break and one of the counselors accidentally popped the roof hatch all the way open and it blew off on the interstate. The bus, I am told, has been parked since then.

Of course it won’t crank now. Isn’t that a joy at any rate I’m sure we will get it figured out between this forum and a couple of mechanic guys that I know. Looking forward to engaging with you guys.

Billman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
There's a safety switch on the hatch that disables the ignition. The first thing you'll learn about buses is that 99% of the dashes fail in their life and are replaced without a mileage correction. It would be exceptional if your bus actually had that few miles, more likely around 250k+

Look for the 2 wires for the hatch and connect them together and see if it starts?

Go to the UserCP in the upper left and fill out your profile with where you are and your bus info. Greatly helps us answer your questions.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:52 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
You ever eat at Phoenicia restaurant in Ocean Springs?
Old 09-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
The easiest way to verify the mileage is to have your International shop read the computer and compare it with the odometer.

You should be able to bypass the switch in the hatch and allow the bus to start.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:21 AM   #5

Chassis: Thomas
Engine: DT466E
Thanks a bunch you guys. I’ll give that a try today. Also, regarding the mileage, this was a daycare bus not a route bus. Pretty confident on mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
There's a safety switch on the hatch that disables the ignition. The first thing you'll learn about buses is that 99% of the dashes fail in their life and are replaced without a mileage correction. It would be exceptional if your bus actually had that few miles, more likely around 250k+

Look for the 2 wires for the hatch and connect them together and see if it starts?

Go to the UserCP in the upper left and fill out your profile with where you are and your bus info. Greatly helps us answer your questions.
Billman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billman1 View Post
Thanks a bunch you guys. I’ll give that a try today. Also, regarding the mileage, this was a daycare bus not a route bus. Pretty confident on mileage.
I haven't know day care centers to buy brand new buses. Has it been verified the DCC bought it new?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote