Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 04:51 PM   #1

Hi - totally new to this...

Hi -

I found this forum from a mention in an RV lifestyle video on Utube that I was watching. So I have been thinking about going on the road at some point for awhile but there is so much preparation to make. And recently I was considering that it might be better to get a cheap bus and take time to set it up while I figure out everything else. Eventually, I would leave my home and follow the road. But right now I am not sure how possible this really is even though I have been reading a lot - the complexity of the actual hands-on part of it and not having experience with that. My situation is that I could get the bus and slowly work on it until it is drive-able. Then I would cash out whatever stuff I have, put that into finishing off certain details like tires or inside devices, then go on the road with a minimal budget.

Anyway, I have been looking on Crgs list but there are very few short skool bus and they are not in the area or there are other issues. I can keep checking once in awhile and maybe something cheap appears that I'll be able to start.

Azoraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Craigslist is not the only option. There are a few auction sites that are pretty good for snagging up retired buses. Not sure where you are, but don't be afraid to check surrounding areas or willing to travel for the right bus.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:47 PM   #3

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Check with local school bus companies about how they decommission their buses. Smaller companies will have older buses. A bus fresh out of a fleet will have been regularly maintained and may even come with records of everything done to it in that fleet. Now (at the end of the school year) is an appropriate time to ask about it since many of them are being retired and replaced with newer models.