Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #1

Year: 1986
Engine: Dt360
Hopes & Dreams Racing 1988 DT466 Car Hauler

Hello,

We just made the jump into bus ownership. It has been the scariest decision we've made and we race cars. We race 24 Hours of LeMon's and have been renting uhaul trucks and trailers to the point we could have bought this bus twice now.

That being said, we now own a bus that we don't know much about and that is overwhelming. Our chief mechanic was a Heavy Wheeled Mechanic for the US Army for 10+ years, but this isn't a 5-ton,LMTV or HEMMIT he knows what he's doing but he doesn't know this motor/trans directly. We did our research HERE on Skoolie, and online and the DT466 is warmly regarded and the years of service make parts fairly common. Which is why we jumped on it.

We do need help though and any information would be welcome.

It does drive, we drove it from east NY to the Pocono's in PA. Generally without incident it's normally a 2 hour drive, took us 6hours. HILLS are the place of nightmares the 4 speed Allison auto got us home from point of purchase, but just barely. Any rise in the road forced us to drop it manually into 1st just to make the rise at 2 rpm.

The owner said it was completely "overhauled" in 2008, what that actually means is anyone's guess. it is fairly crusty, and looks as if it's been sitting a long while.

When we did finally get it home at a top speed of 45MPH, we noticed fuel leaking on the head.

The turbo was making all the right noises but wasn't noticeably doing anything and we didn't know where it's power band is or what boost it was doing as there is no gauge.

So, I will ask the in-depth questions where they belong, but what are options for the transmission? 6 speed?

Anybody in the Pocono, PA area wanna come by and take a look at our Land Yacht, lend us your knowledge & expertise. What Kraken's lay beneath the surface and "here be dragons" would be appreciated. Can one buy service manuals?

"Bosch Fuel Rails and injectors and me", what do I need to know, it seems to be this engines Achilles heal..

I hope the pictures attach

Thank you

David Carter
Hopes & Dreams Racing
Attached Thumbnails
20170827_172910.jpg   20170723_164151.jpg   20170827_171654.jpg   1_90.jpg  

HnDracing is offline   Reply With Quote