Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Thumbs up Hoppin' on the Magic Skoolie Bus

Hi everyone.

My name's Robbie. My partner Mackenzie and my puppy June are thinking of joining the wonderful world of converted school bus living.

My sister has already joined your ranks, and while at first I thought she was bonkers, I realized that she was onto something. No rent, freedom of location and the ability to design your own home for a fraction of the cost of a house.

I was super excited when I found this forum. I'll be lurking on here over the next many months while we plan our conversion.

I'm glad to be a part of this community. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Ruubbiiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome. We're glad you came to your senses on the bus issue. Let us know what you're looking for and we'll help you find it, or do you already have a plan?
Old 12-03-2017, 05:54 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruubbiiee View Post
Hi everyone.

My name's Robbie. My partner Mackenzie and my puppy June are thinking of joining the wonderful world of converted school bus living.

My sister has already joined your ranks, and while at first I thought she was bonkers, I realized that she was onto something. No rent, freedom of location and the ability to design your own home for a fraction of the cost of a house.

I was super excited when I found this forum. I'll be lurking on here over the next many months while we plan our conversion.

I'm glad to be a part of this community. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
No rent... if you own land.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome to the site!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Welcome. We're glad you came to your senses on the bus issue. Let us know what you're looking for and we'll help you find it, or do you already have a plan?
Hi Robin! Nah, definitely in the planning phases still. We've been looking at the floor plans provided on your site and deciding what would work best for us. We have a couple of mock-ups already... maybe I'll post 'em when they're ready to be seen.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
What we're wondering is what length of bus are your plans designed for? Are you thinking of a front engine (FE) bus, a rear engine (RE) bus or a conventional (dognose) bus? There's lots of questions we ask, like what your intended use is and what type of climate are you going to be spending your time in with your bus. The southerners don't need to focus on insulation as much as us northerners. Some of us are backroads drivers and others are ripping down the freeways clocking miles.
Reading other people's threads here will help you get a better idea of what you need versus want. It's an interesting process. Once you know what you want there are many eyes here that will help you find what you're looking for. It's a fun process and there's a great bunch of people here.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:52 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
What we're wondering is what length of bus are your plans designed for? Are you thinking of a front engine (FE) bus, a rear engine (RE) bus or a conventional (dognose) bus? There's lots of questions we ask, like what your intended use is and what type of climate are you going to be spending your time in with your bus. The southerners don't need to focus on insulation as much as us northerners. Some of us are backroads drivers and others are ripping down the freeways clocking miles.
Reading other people's threads here will help you get a better idea of what you need versus want. It's an interesting process. Once you know what you want there are many eyes here that will help you find what you're looking for. It's a fun process and there's a great bunch of people here.
Hi all newbs and veterans in here. I bought a (well stole) 92 TC2000 bluebird. Its a 3800 series 5.9 Cummins pusher. Was curious if anyone ever hangs out in the chat room on here or how would one get one started? I could start one for tech stuff if anyone's interested. I am ASE certified diesel tech with over 40 years working on everything from 2 strokes to the big cam Cummins and other large engines. I'm sure there are many more out there like me. Never done a skoolie so I'll be learning a lot on this adventure. Did work on rv's a couple years though but that was a lot of hair ago. Let me know if you want to try and get a tech chat going.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:00 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
There aren't chat rooms, but there is a section for mechanical stuff.
Maybe try starting a thread with a title like "I'm a diesel tech, ask me anything" and I'm sure you'll get plenty of discussion and questions going.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:19 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Robin. I was just looking at your bus in one of your other threads- good job! Sorry to hear about your foam woes. That's one thing I'll be sure to mention if I get someone to spray foam my bus. (I'm sure I will- it sounds like a pain to do it yourself!)

I'm not sure what type of bus I'm looking to buy... do you have any recommendations for front or rear engine etc.? Right now my partner and I are just saving like crazy. We're still in early planning stages, however. We figure a medium size bus would work well. Too big and you deal with parking issues and can have a hard time with backroads. Too small and, well... no space!

I live in Alberta, Canada so insulation is definitely a must, though I'm sure that we will be travelling somewhere warmer when it's built. Probably more on highways, though I wouldn't want to write off backroads.

If you're seeing any red flags with what I'm saying, let me know. Thanks guys.